Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oneida cyclone fails to start using the remote key fob.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Watling View Post
    Thank you for the suggestion Pat, Oneida have been somewhat helpful but it's going to cost me and I'd like to investigate another solution before accepting a second rate solution for a second time.
    That's not what I'm talking about. I'm saying you should ask him about your idea of hooking up your Insteon home automation system with the dust collector. I think you might get an honest answer that would not cost you more than a phone call. They make their money selling dust collectors. When I purchased my dust collector, they threw in the optional remote, no charge. The rest of their business has to be support.
    I wasn't sure I should be giving his full name in this post His last name starts with a C------. It sounds like an Italian name.
    Pat

I'm no expert with regard to these types of electronics and would need a little guidance. I have wired up an entire shop and panel with both 240 and 115 and had it certified though, so I can follow instructions.
    If I was to use a relay would that mean I would have to introduce a 110v power source? Can you provide a little more in fo on your thinking..
    Do you know whether the wires to the remote receiver carry the full 20-30Amps required by the dust collector, the wiring is considerably thinner that the others so I have a hard time believing that they are required to carry the full amperage.
    I have never used this, but I can tell you how I made a remote for my JDS cyclone.
    I got a X10 switch, a relay capable of handling a 3hp motor, and an X10 remote.
    The X10 switch turned power on and off to the relay. I had to run 120v to power the relay.
    I expect you could use this switch in the same way, though it seems to have a lot more options than my X10 switch did.

Pat,

Initially I was loathed to ask them because its a third party product and I really don't expect them to provide help with that, however I just called and Alan left the company a few years ago. I may or may not get a call back from one of their techs. I'll let you know the outcome.

The remote receiver went out on my Oneida a while ago. I built one using a relay with a low voltage coil. Each blast gate has a micro switch. When the gate is opened the switch completes the low voltage circuit and turns on the Cyclone. When all gates are closed the cyclone runs for ~12 seconds then turns off.

The transformer that supplies the low voltage is plugged into one of the light outlets, so when I turn off the lights in the shop there is no low voltage available to trigger the relay.

Pat,

Initially I was loathed to ask them because its a third party product and I really don't expect them to provide help with that, however I just called and Alan left the company a few years ago. I may or may not get a call back from one of their techs. I'll let you know the outcome.
    Who is Alan, I said Andrew. His last name was Calenzo. Ext. 112

Pat

Quote Originally Posted by "Patrick G Rainsberger" View Post
    Who is Alan, I said Andrew. His last name was Calenzo. Ext. 112

Pat
    Thanks, I'm not certain they will even want to help me yet, I'll wait until one of the techs returns my call and ask about Andrew again. Appreciate your suggestion.

S.E. Tennessee ... just a bit North of Chattanooga
    May not be exactly what you want, but this is what I used on my ClearVue system ... ...

http://www.amazon.com/HW2190-Heavy-D...s+light+remote

http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-DP20...hvac+contactor

It's basically a remote ON/OFF for outdoor Christmas lighting and a 120v coil contactor like would be used in an HVAC system ... ACE usually stocks the remote unit and the contactor can be found at any HVAC supply store ... just be sure it's 2 pole with a 120V coil ... setup is a piece of cake.

While you need the remote receiver, early this year I replaced the key fob for my Oneida cyclone.

Using Google, I located and purchased the identical key fob – KR19A Keychain Remote Control – x10 – from The Home Automation Store for US $19.57, including shipping and handling. Item # X10-10-KR19A

Their price was $5.00 -$10.00 plus cheaper than other sources.

I just logged onto the below web page and they
    sell remote receivers. Might be worth your while to look at what they have.

www.thehomeautomationstore.com

That key fob doesn't look like my Onieda. It runs on the same frequency / coding though?
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.