Thread: Jet 1642EVS-2 motor temp

Jet 1642EVS-2 motor temp

I have the 2 hp version of the Jet 1642. I have for a long time wondered if my motor was getting too hot when in use. After about an hour of vigorous turning it becomes very warm to the touch. I finally measured the heat with an infrared temperature gun and it read about 120 degrees. Just wondered if this is normal or do I have a problem. Been like this for a long time and it runs fine just wondered if this is common. It is still under warranty so now would be the time to get it fixed if this is a problem.
    Paul Singer
    Jet 1642EVS 2hp

Paul, I have never measured actual temp on mine but I do know it gets plenty warm after using it for an hour or more. Not so hot that I will burn my hand but warm enough I don't want to leave it on there for very long. I am not in my shop at the moment but the motor has a plate on it that should state the normal operating temps someplace on it.

Ran to my shop and checked and the plate says 60*C which is 140* F. So, sounds like everything is working normally.
    Last edited by Steve Schlumpf; 07-26-2013 at 8:08 AM.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Sounds much like what mine does. I think you are fine. Now....if it leaves blisters when you lay your hand on it - might be time to call customer service!!

Thanks alot guys. I never thought to check the plate on the motor. I am coming to the end of my warranty and didn't want to let it lapse when I might be able to get it fixed for free.
    Paul Singer
    Jet 1642EVS 2hp

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    ...and that's a handy place to put your coffee cup to keep it warm.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

I have a Delta planer with a 2 hp motor, and ran a bunch of oak through it once. It got really warm, almost too hot to keep my hand on. When they run, under load for a while they do get pretty warm. If you start smelling it (metal, rubber wire, etc), then it is too hot. Same with the cord, it can warm up a bit.

robo hippy

My motor gets pretty warm also. One thing you could try if you turn less than 1200 most of the time, is run in low speed. That causes the motor and fan to run faster, therefore getting more cooling. I turn more than 1200 a lot, so I live with the warm motor.

I had a Jet 1642 and now have a PM. These motors are closed and the fan simply blows over the outside of the motor. 120 degrees is "hot" to the touch, but not excessive. Most motors are rated for 50 C (122F) continuous. I guess what I'm say is the motor sounds normal to me. If the motor was open on the ends where the air can blow though it, the temperature would be less.