Thread: Tormek T-7 Grinder Question

Tormek T-7 Grinder Question

First off I'm not an experienced turner nor sharpener.

I have a 1/2" gouge that I want to put an "Ellsworth" shape on. I dry ground it then went the the Tormek wet grind and everything looks great. When I go to the leather wheel there isn't enough travel to burnish both sided of the tool - or am I missing something? (I'm using JS 6 P 75 Hole A)

Thanks,

Mike

Mike,I don't think honing a bowl gouge is necessary.There is no doubt that the tool will be sharper after honing, but the difference will be gone right after you start turning! Most turners I am aware of would use the tool right off the dry grinder. I still use my tormek fingernail jig, but use it on my delta grinder with a cbn wheel. When it does dull, a few light swipes on the grinder and I'm back in business.
    Tom

I've used a tormek for many years and the only turning tool that I ever hone the edge on is the skew. It helps put the razor edge on the skew, but is not needed on gouges. I do some times hone the flute before I sharpen them, but never hone a gouge after sharping.Jack

Thanks for the comments - I'll skip the hone on the gouge.

Mike

I'll take a slightly different tack. Cindy Drozda did a very informative blog on sharpening the new steels. After reading her blog I bought a CBN wheel. Before, I honed my Thompsons (vanadium steel) because I did not feel they were as sharp as they should be coming off the matrix wheel. Cindy says that is because the matrix wheel can not cut the carbides that are formed in the vanadium steels, CBN can. So now I do not hone anything off the CBN wheel but my HSS skew.

Since you are using a matrix wheel - both wet and dry - IF you are trying to sharpen Vanadium steel you might want to hone - but with a diamond or CBN hone by hand.
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Mike, I have no experience with the Tormek. I use a CBN wheel (actually, I have two), and love them. The tools come off ultra sharp from them...
    I drink, therefore I am.

I will second CBN wheel. I waited a long time before spending the money, but it is well worth the money. I order from Dave, and was here in 2 days (coast to coast). Never had sharper tool or nicer person to deal with.

I used my Tormek for years. Even wore down the first wheel and bought another. Soon after, I bought 2 CBN wheels and only use the Tormek for sharpening kitchen knives now.