Thread: Glue up question

Glue up question

I am working on a flip top tool stand and have the carcass cabinet all but completed. I am studying various versions of the top itself,and see where some folks sandwich 3-4 1X2's between 2 pieces of 3/4 ply and glue the ply to the 1X2 runners. Being that the face of ply is rather thin, I am wondering if I would get enough strength with an 80+ lb tool hanging upside down with that thin ply laminate against a 1" spacer or if I would be better off laminating 3 3/4" pieces of ply together. I am using 24" X 24" borg grade birch ply for the entire project including the top.

Just wonder which route would provide the better top and maximum strength.

Thanks in advance for any help and/or suggestions.

I'm having a little trouble visualizing the top Bob. I would use the three layers of ply with the machine thru bolted, if possible. like I said tho', I'm having trouble with the visual of the "sandwich" method

Thanks Mike,

After sitting in the shop studying things further, I have about decided to do the 3 layer ply as you suggested. It just makes more sence. There was a picture of one I ran up on that another fellow had built and he used the construction I tried (and failed) to describe. Picture a wall laying on its side with 2X4 studs and sheetrock attached to both sides. Maybe that will draw a better picture

Any hoo.... Think I'll just go with the ply and hope that 3 layers of 3/4 " will not have a warp factor.

Thanks for taking the time to reply

I got yah now Bob, I didn't understand it either. So it is a frame of 1x2's with plywood on each side. Seems like that might be a good way to make the flip top if you run the hardware into the 1 x 2. I asume there is some kind of bolt on each side. Seems like the 1 x 2 box frame would go along ways to keeping the top from warping with ply screwed to both sides.

Corey
    Last edited by Corey Hallagan; 08-27-2005 at 9:03 PM.

Ohh.. now I see it.
    I still wouldn't feel to comfortable having an 80lb machine only secured by the screws in a plywood face. If it could be connected to the "frame", maybe.
    I think the ply layers will be fine. The machine base itself will add a lot of rigidity to the project, and a 24"x24" top is not really that big. I'm thinking it should be plenty stout.
    If you can thru bolt the machine to the top, with some nice big fender washers on the backside that would be ideal, if not 2 1/4" thick ply should be able to take a pretty hefty screw. I might shoot some 5 min epoxy into the screw holes myself.
    Post a pic when you are doneplease. I'm looking for a storage/cabinet solution for a benchtop mortiser, and a drill press. What you are doing may be a possible solution for me. I could store both machines in the same space with a revolving top. Kinda cool.

Thanks Corey and again Mike. I decided to go with the 3 layers of ply on the top. I will pivot the center with a 5" X 1/2 Lag screw on each end and secure the 4 corners with 3"X 3/8 key pins on each corner when tool in use is in place. I should finish the project or at least close enough to shoot some pics to share in the next couple of days.

Torsion Box

Bob,

What you're describing is a torsion box, or at least a form of one. Properly done, it will be much stronger for your purposes than the plywood sandwhich will be. To do the torsion box properly, you need a grid of members inside the plywood skins.

For a flip-top tool stand, I like to build an "axle" out of 3/4" galvanized or black pipe and run it through the center of my top. If you go to the Borg, you will find that 3/4" metal pipe will fit through the center of some of the grey, barbed, plastic couplings that are used to connect black irrigation pipe. Use, I think, the 1 1/4" size. Epoxy these into a 1 3/8" hole and run your 3/4" pipe axle through them. To mount the top to your carcase, use 3/4" galvanized pipe floor flanges.

Using the above procedure, you get a VERY smoothly turning flip-top and provides quite a bit of rigidity to your carcase as well

Good luck,

Mickey

Dog Gone it Mickey.... If only your post had come 6 hours earlier Too far along on this one now, but I see a 2nd one in the very near future and I have saved this thread to my favorites and I will follow your method on it for sure. I like the axle idea.... makes good sense.