Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mounting pen blanks for laser engraving...

Mounting pen blanks for laser engraving...

I was wondering if anyone had a plan, drawing or source for a jig to mount pen blanks for laser engraving. I think i'm looking for two different jigs. First, I need something to use with my rotary attachment. I'm also looking for something I can use without the rotary attachement, but that also incorporates an indexing mechanism. I'd rather not spend time inventing something myself if it already exists out there. Thanks.

Tim

I took the rubber parts off of the rotary attachment and had someone
    make two dead centers for it. The centers are just 60 degree pointed
    shafts that mount onto the shafts that are already there. They will hold
    the pen barrels tight enough to turn. They are also long enough to keep
    the head away from the box on the rotary attachment, so I don't need to
    use the longer lens. He also make a pair in Delrin, but I havent' tried those
    yet.

You don't say which machine you have. For the epilog rotary, I have simply used the pen mandrel on the rotary. The morse taper on the drive end, and the brass nut on the free wheels. My son turns pen so I have the mandrel and a lot of bushings.

For stationary I was thinking of simply cutting hexagons or octagons (whatever depending on the index angle) out acrylic, Placing one on each end of the pen and rotating to each flat for a consistent index.

HTH
    Real Mercier
    Epilog Mini 24 - 45 W
    Roland PNC1000
    CorelDraw X3
    FlexiSign 7.6

Quote Originally Posted by Real Mercier View Post
    You don't say which machine you have. For the epilog rotary, I have simply used the pen mandrel on the rotary. The morse taper on the drive end, and the brass nut on the free wheels. My son turns pen so I have the mandrel and a lot of bushings.

For stationary I was thinking of simply cutting hexagons or octagons (whatever depending on the index angle) out acrylic, Placing one on each end of the pen and rotating to each flat for a consistent index.

HTH
    Real Mercier
    I thought about just using the mandrel, but I was concerned that the rubber wheels would not turn such a small shaft accurately. That's a cool idea for the stationary jig. I can't see needing much more than 8 indexing points. Thanks for the suggestions.

Oh yeah...I added equipment to signiture. Thanks.

Tim
    Epilog Helix 50 Watts
    Rotary Attachment
    CorelDRAW X4

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Stone View Post
    I took the rubber parts off of the rotary attachment and had someone
    make two dead centers for it. The centers are just 60 degree pointed
    shafts that mount onto the shafts that are already there. They will hold
    the pen barrels tight enough to turn. They are also long enough to keep
    the head away from the box on the rotary attachment, so I don't need to
    use the longer lens. He also make a pair in Delrin, but I havent' tried those
    yet.
    I kind of like that idea. Which set of wheel positions did you mount the dead center on...although it seems like it shouldn't matter. Can you provide me the size specifications you used for the dead centers? Thanks.
    Epilog Helix 50 Watts
    Rotary Attachment
    CorelDRAW X4

I have a ULS and for the rotary, I use a pen mandrel with a simple 1/4" to 1/4" coupler on the drive end, and made a pointed 1/4" piece of bar stock for the opposite end. For stationary, I have two fixtures. One is a sheet of 3/4" plywood with rows of V grooves machined in it with a router bit. I marked off lines at 90 degrees to the grooves for correct orientation. I am able to run 96 blanks at a time on it. Just blanks, not assembled pens. For one off runs, I have a little piece of plywood with a single groove. It has a knotch to clear the pen clip, but that also lets me index the pen based on the clip.

I'm not sure about 'wheel positions' .. I have a Mercury laser and it has a
    rotary attachment that sort of looks like a lathe, so I think of it that way.

There's a 'headstock' with a small shaft sticking out of it (when you remove
    the rubber cap) the shaft is about 3/4" long and that cap attaches to it.
    So I have a center that slides over the cap. It's about .6" wide and about
    1.5" long and pointed on the end like a dead center.
    (These dimensions are particular to my laser, yours may vary)

The 'tailstock' is a movable stand with a clamp that has a similar shaft on
    it (when you remove the tail cap) and that shaft rides in a bearing. So
    when I put another center on that shaft, it functions like a live center.

Here's a quick scan of them.. you can't see the threaded holes for the set
    screws though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Neal View Post
    I kind of like that idea. Which set of wheel positions did you mount the dead center on...although it seems like it shouldn't matter. Can you provide me the size specifications you used for the dead centers? Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tim,

Here is a sight you might check out, it shows how they make the cuts on a Stars & Stripes pen.

Pretty Cool!

http://www.epiloglaser.com/cs_kallenshaan.htm

Marty
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Stone View Post
    I'm not sure about 'wheel positions' .. I have a Mercury laser and it has a
    rotary attachment that sort of looks like a lathe, so I think of it that way....
    Ahhh...I see the problem. My rotary attachment has a differnet design. It has a set of wheels at each end. The wheels at the drive end are linked via a belt. The centerpoint for engraving is midway between the wheels. I don't believe I can adapt your methos to work for me. Here's a stock photo of my rotary attachment.
    rotary.jpg
    Epilog Helix 50 Watts
    Rotary Attachment
    CorelDRAW X4

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Boekers View Post
    Tim,

Here is a sight you might check out, it shows how they make the cuts on a Stars & Stripes pen.

Pretty Cool!

http://www.epiloglaser.com/cs_kallenshaan.htm

Marty

Marty,

I actually think that will work for me for the stationary platform. Thanks! I'm still looking for the rotary attachment solution. I'm going to email my sales rep to see if he can point me to a solution.

Tim
    Epilog Helix 50 Watts
    Rotary Attachment
    CorelDRAW X4

11. Pen Parts Engraving Solution

Tim,

Check out the pen parts engraving solution posted last year by Roy Brewer.

http://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.p...06#post1109506

Harlan

12. Would you happen to have a picture of the rotary setup you have? I too have a ULS with the standard rotary attachment, but want to engrave around pieces that are about the size of pens (about 1/2" diameter and 3-4" long)
    Thanks
    Rebecca

I recommend 3D printing fixtures for laser engraving.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Silvers View Post
    I recommend 3D printing fixtures for laser engraving.
    Need more detail to understand what you're talking about. Thanks.
    Epilog Helix 50 Watts
    Rotary Attachment
    CorelDRAW X4

It is simple to whip out fixtures by creating them in a 3D CAD program, and then send them to a 3D printer. You can buy a consumer 3D printer for between $400 and $3500. The fixtures may not be strong enough to hold parts for milling, but since laser is non-contact, they are great for that.