Thread: Mobile Carts for Lasers

Mobile Carts for Lasers

Hey all,
    I am trying to find a mobile cart to use for my laser. I have an Epilog Mini 12x24 laser, and I am trying to find a cart that ideally:
    60" long
    locking wheels
    locking storage below
    prefer plastic over metal due to weight and shipping

I am surprised how hard of a time I have had finding something (or something sub $1000). I thought maybe someone here has had a similar need. Please let me know if you have any ideas.

Thanks
    Mike

Blog Entries
    Something that big will likely be meant for heavy items, and therefore will not be made out of plastic. Have you considered making your own using a wooden bench top (Home Depot sells inexpensive laminate countertop in 6-14' sections... I think an 8' section cost me $100). Add in some 4x4s and some casters and you have yourself a pretty beefy table.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I was looking for something similar and gave up, decided to make my own. Since I have some white cabinets holding supplies, I bought matching melamine sheet stock at the local home center and they cut it up for me, something like 25 cents per cut. I took home the top, bottom, left, right, back, and center divider pieces, ironed on some edge banding to dress up the cut edges, and screwed the whole thing together with some specialty screws from McFeely's. Bolted four 4" casters into flange nuts through the bottom. Still need to make a drawer for the top of one side of the divider to hold tape, scissors, etc., and a pull out tray for the the bottom of the other side to hold frequently used fixtures and drops-in-progress. Perfect height, width, length, and configuration to suit my needs, and pretty easy to do in a day or two for under $200.

You might contact Roy Brewer of Engraving Concepts. I watched one of his demos awhile back and he used a folding device that looked a bit like a gurney to do what you want. Roy is in his 60's and not a big fellow and he moves that Epilog in and out of his van with no problem and then runs his demo with it on the table.

http://www.engravingconcepts.com/

Here's one silmilar to Roy's. http://www.salesmakercarts.com/equip...asy_loader.asp
    Last edited by Mike Null; 08-21-2013 at 11:28 AM.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I agree with Glenn check out pre-made cabinets and build a dolly for them, then a melamine top and your set!
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

I just bought an Epilog Mini 18 and here's the table I purchased to set it on. Works great! It was $150 from Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

John Leslie
    Houston, TX

From the wood working world, try Kreig the pocket hole people, make a table.
    GARY ROBERTS
    ShopBot Desk Top
    Full Spectrum 60 Watt Pro

I agree the kreig pocket hole approach to building tables is really easy. We built 2 nice workbenches in an afternoon using the HD kit.
    Rabbit 1290 80W RECI
    Shopbot PRS Alpha
    Aspire, Corel, Signlab, and many more
    Gerber Edge and 2 vinyl cutters
    plus a shop full of woodworking and metalworking machines

I made some with Hydraulic Platforms Carts... No storage or cover...

And some very old laser engravers...
    Attached Images Attached Images
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".