Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: automotive wiring splice and solder..???

automotive wiring splice and solder..???

OK...maybe not truly automotive, but motorcycle. My youngest son has a Honda VT1100C2 v-twin cruiser, 2003 model. The wires from the stater that pass under the seat to a connector and then down to the rectifier (or whatever you call it) have burned in two. The first time I fixed it (it had already been repaired before) I cut out the burned connectors/wire and crimped on new connectors and connected the wires together again.

This lasted for a few months and then just this week it happened again. I checked around the "net" and some say that this is not a strange happening with these bikes and is a common break/fix. The wire coming from the stater is like an 18 gauge wire and is the same gauge wire going to the (well....I need to go lookup what it's called....BRB...).....ok it is called a regulator/rectifier.

In my past electrician days, if a wire heated up....it was because the wire was too small for the load it was carrying. Here, the wires only burned where the connectors were.

I was trying to solder the wires today by tinning then first and I simply could NOT get solder to stick to the wires. I cut the wire back a short bit and stripped back a little and still the solder would not stick to the wires. Does this require the wires to be clean as in like new condition before the solder will stick well?

How does one typically spliced 2 wires back together in an automotive type setting? I'd like to fix this on a more permanent type repair.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Educate me....I'm not proud nor bashful.....so I'm asking.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Maybe the wires are aluminum? I've never had an issue soldering older model vehicle wires.

Todd

One thing I have noticed from soldering on my boat is that the lead free home depot type solder will not work. I got some normal solder with lead from radio shack, and it worked like the old days.

You can also get some pretty good waterproof crimp connectors from the boat store, but the problem will be the crimp tool. A good crimp tool is very expensive, but the one they have at HD for about 30 dollars is OK (I think that it's klien). The pressed metal tools are a joke, in my opinion.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/1006306...a#.Uhl9glePjgc

Of course, none of this deals with the underlying issue, the wire should not be melting down.

Todd,
    The wires are in fact stranded copper wires. When cut, you see nice shinny copper staring you in the face. Maybe I'll have to get some different solder. Is there like and acid core solder and one that is not acid core? I don't know....just guessing here.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Try going to a good auto electric supply shop or marine shop. They will have butt connectors with solder inside that heat shrink over the wire, all in one pass. Just make sure you understand how to use them because it can be easy to apply to much heat. Test on scrap wire first. It will make an awesome watertight connection.

It sounds like you may have another problem though. Perhaps too much resistance in the circuit and it's overheating at the weak point which is that connection. Maybe check all your ground connections on the frame and at the rectifier. It's not enought to look at them, take them off and brighten them scotchbrite or emery, make sure it's down to bare metal.

Dennis.....acid core solder is used for plumbing.......rosin core is used for electrical. Because of the "acid" in acid core solder, it is not recommended for electronics as it can damage circuit boards, etc.

Check out this link: http://electronics.stackexchange.com...older-used-for
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    I would suggest replacing with a 16AWG wire from point to point rather than continually patching this one up. If you must patch it, however, you need to make sure the wires are properly cleaned. While Ken's comments about rosin versus acid core solder is correct, this is not sitting on a PCB where the acid can attack, so you'll have no real issue (wash the connection with some baking soda solution and be done with it). If solder isn't sticking, it's two possible things: lack of clean wires (flux helps here), or not enough heat (what wattage is your soldering iron?).
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Yep, put a bigger wire on it and initiate the smoke test....

Seems like not having enough heat to the wires and too much on the solder might be the issue. Let us know how this turns out.

Todd
    Last edited by Todd Burch; 08-25-2013 at 10:01 AM. Reason: typo

PErsonally, I would use heat shrink butt connectors and skip the solder. You can get heat shrink butt connectors at NAPA. You do need a crimper to crimp the connectors.

Dennis - in addition to Ken's info (I call it flux core), I would be concerned as to why the wires are burning up in the first place. How close to the exhaust are the wires? I am wondering if it might not be a better fix to use a larger gauge wire and reroute them away from any heat source.
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Not that unusual for the connectors to be the weak point. You can't really change the wire size as this is the same wire going all the way to the stators.

The majority of motorcycle charging systems have the regulator work in a shunt methodology, meaning that full current is always output and bled off to charge the battery. All you need is an imperfect contact in one of the connectors and it will start to arc and heat up. Many DIY motorcyclists eliminate the connectors as you have researched. If one uses connectors they must be of the best quality and the wire contact to them must also be very good.

Aged wire even though covered with insulator will still develop an oxidized surface that makes it harder for rosin core solder to flow. Some have used acid core solder when wires are not near CBs or other areas where residual acid will not corrode surfaces. Acid core solder near a connector for example is not a good idea. Rosin core solder really is the best choice no matter what.

There are products that can remove the oxidation on the wires, the best under the trade name De-Ox-It. A little mechanical abrasion with Scotch-brite or very fine sandpaper can also work. Some have used toilet bowl clearer, an acid, then washed the heck out of the bare wire with alcohol before soldering, but you never know if you got it all out as it will wick up the lay.

It has been shown by testing that a tight, proper crimp actually is a better electrical connection then technically loose wires held together by a alloy (solder) where the electrons have to cross dissimilar metals, but this can get into a discussion equal to that of what the best motor oil. A pretty good guide for critical aircraft wiring is this if you care to review:

http://www.keybridgeti.com/videotrai...aldl/25827.PDF

When I do my electrical soldering I use Eutectic solder, usually quad but tri is available, This is the best and while rosin core there are times I also use additional rosin flux on the copper just to add insurance. Radio Shack used to carry these and may still.

I would try a paste flux and a hotter iron. Be sure the iron itself is well tinned as this facilitates good heat transfer.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    OK...maybe not truly automotive, but motorcycle. My youngest son has a Honda VT1100C2 v-twin cruiser, 2003 model. The wires from the stater that pass under the seat to a connector and then down to the rectifier (or whatever you call it) have burned in two. The first time I fixed it (it had already been repaired before) I cut out the burned connectors/wire and crimped on new connectors and connected the wires together again.

This lasted for a few months and then just this week it happened again. I checked around the "net" and some say that this is not a strange happening with these bikes and is a common break/fix. The wire coming from the stater is like an 18 gauge wire and is the same gauge wire going to the (well....I need to go lookup what it's called....BRB...).....ok it is called a regulator/rectifier.

In my past electrician days, if a wire heated up....it was because the wire was too small for the load it was carrying. Here, the wires only burned where the connectors were.

I was trying to solder the wires today by tinning then first and I simply could NOT get solder to stick to the wires. I cut the wire back a short bit and stripped back a little and still the solder would not stick to the wires. Does this require the wires to be clean as in like new condition before the solder will stick well?

How does one typically spliced 2 wires back together in an automotive type setting? I'd like to fix this on a more permanent type repair.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Educate me....I'm not proud nor bashful.....so I'm asking.
    someone suggested to use a brush on flux, rosin based only (do not use plumbing flux) and heat the wire and connector and apply solder. all the connections needs to be high quality with the lowest possible resistance. AS you probably know P= I^2R or the heat being produced at the connector wire junction. Too much of it and the connector and wire burn up. If these are crimp type connectors, first crimp them and then add some solder to the crimp and wire to reduce the inline resistance.
    Last edited by Chuck Wintle; 08-25-2013 at 11:20 AM.

High temp wire is also available but don't know where to buy it.
    David B

Quote Originally Posted by David G Baker View Post
    High temp wire is also available but don't know where to buy it.
    wire with a teflon based insulation will take high temperatures...do a search on the net for it.