Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using a portable generator

Using a portable generator

Since my shop is built and my house is not I didn't have electricity to the site. I am going to use a portable generator so I can run my 3 hp table saw and 3 hp jointer. It has a 30 amp breaker (7000 watts). Are there any problems or things to watch for using a portable generator? I will use #10 wire. I do have 120 15 amp from the neighbor and can run my smaller 1.5 hp jet dust collector.
    Last edited by William C Rogers; 08-25-2013 at 7:24 AM.

It is not going to work.
    Your tools probably are about 15a. To start they probably draw 45a. I don't have benefit of a calculator, but that is something like 11kw. Unless your generator can produce that, your tools won't start. Well, they might, but it is not a good idea to do it.

The generator will produce 47a starting and 29a running.

Your generator is probably adequate but I would verify it will work before counting on that as a temporary solution to your power problem. Wade is right about starting current preventing an otherwise adequate generator from working. Just as a point of reference, my 5500W generator will not power my 1.5hp table saw due to high starting current. Whether you use #10AWG or #12AWG is not that big of deal as either one will carry the steady state current over short distances. Be sure to provide a hard ground to the generator similar to what you would do with house wiring for safety sake.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 08-25-2013 at 11:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by William C Rogers View Post
    The generator will produce 47a starting and 29a running.
    Okay, that's normally called a 11kw generator.
    Might work, might not; I'd bet against it, but it is certainly worth trying.

You will have to decide about grounding it.

My generator provides a large stud and thumb screw on the front panel for grounding purposes.

WILL the saw and jointer be running at the same time ?

Will

All you can do is plug it in and see if it works. If it does there are things you want to monitor, especially if this is going to be an ongoing endeavor.
    Most Generators have really "ratty" sine wave outputs and can damage sensitive electronics. If you're trying to run a 3HP Sawstop, I might advise against it due to the electronics package involved. Honda and a few others have inverter style generators that have a cleaner sine wave, but I don't know what you have. Tere are also after market inline load filters to clean up the generator output.
    Motors are inductive loads, and as such, have large inrush current demands to get going. You're going to want to invest in a clamp on ammeter, and a DMM, to monitor the current and voltage while running. High current/low voltage is your enemy. If that voltage starts to drop below a nominal 220vac, I'd pay attention, anything less than 200 vac and I'd be shutting stuff down. As voltage drops, current rises and that can destroy your motors.
    I've seen table saws,cement mixers, portable blowers,etc. run on portable generators. I wouldn't try ripping 8/4 hardwoods, but 4/4, and plywood, you may be able to do within reason.
    Get a meter, first and foremost.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Since my shop is built and my house is not I didn't have electricity to the site. I am going to use a portable generator so I can run my 3 hp table saw and 3 hp jointer. It has a 30 amp breaker (7000 watts). Are there any problems or things to watch for using a portable generator? I will use #10 wire. I do have 120 15 amp from the neighbor and can run my smaller 1.5 hp jet dust collector.

The generator is a Toro and says has a automatic voltage regulator. Will still need to check the voltage as suggested. I am guessing the saw will not start or start very slowly if the generator is not able to provide the amperage. I would only be running the saw or jointer and not both at the same time. My only other choice would be to run an extension from my neighbor which would be 250 feet. Wire alone would be $200 and then there is the hassle of picking it up at night and putting it in some kind of conduit as it crosses a driveway.

The generator is a Toro and says has a automatic voltage regulator. Will still need to check the voltage as suggested. I am guessing the saw will not start or start very slowly if the generator is not able to provide the amperage. I would only be running the saw or jointer and not both at the same time. My only other choice would be to run an extension from my neighbor which would be 250 feet. Wire alone would be $200 and then there is the hassle of picking it up at night and putting it in some kind of conduit as it crosses a driveway.
    If you have a "standard" Tablesaw, and jointer, with no fancy DRO's, or other electronics attached, I think you'll be able to run them. I've seen some good sized motors and equipment run off portable generators. We ran dewatering pumps for a few weeks off a portable and those were always ran fully loaded, even on startup.
    You'll know right off the bat if it won't work anyway. I would tend to try and leave the saw running and limit the startups if possible. Not easy, I know.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

The proof is in the pudding ... I have a 5500 watt generator (peak 7000 watt) that has run my Woodmaster 26" drum sander with its 5 HP Leeson motor and its variable speed conveyor motor (120 V) for hours without problems. I can turn it one or off as needed. But, I could not get an older 3 HP Powermatic 15" planer to start up. The generator runs like a champ, but some motors and tools just won't run no matter what. As others have said, just try each tool one at a time.

Why not set a temp. power pole? You are going to need it when you build your house anyway.

I would need to buy a transformer to set a temp pole. The house will justify the cost once built, but not the pole barn. Around $3500 here. The closest transformers would need to cross driveways which is not allowed and i would still be about 200 feet from the shop. The saw is a 1980's Jet 3hp 1 phase and the jointer is a MM 35 with 3 hp 1 phase. No fancy electronics on either one. I am going to try this in about a week and will post the results. Both are the older motors, so we will see if it works.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Why not set a temp. power pole? You are going to need it when you build your house anyway.
    I was just getting ready to say the same thing.....T-Pole and your in bushiness.....When I used to build habitat houses we would determine where the T-Pole would be before we ever broke ground and it was the pole was in shortly after we started digging.....

How close is your neighbor? Maybe they'll let you run some power from their house to your lot, if the gen doesn't work out for you.
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust