Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My tools won't cut!

Question My tools won't cut!

I was all set for a day of turning and sharpened my tools on my CBN wheels and when I went to turn nothing would cut. I have sharpened and resharpened, tried different kinds of wood and no matter which tool I tried nothing was cutting. Has anyone ever experienced this? I am a fairly new turner but this is the first time that this has happened. I am at my wits end trying to figure out what I am doing wrong. I took a class this past weekend and my tools were sharpened during the day and they cut like they were cutting into butter. But today they won't even scrape let alone get a curl. My tools are Robert Sorby's and my lathe is the jet 1221vs and this is the first time I have run into this problem. Please, can someone tell me what might be going on or what I might be doing or not doing.

thank you

JoAnn

Did you check to make sure the lathe was not in reverse?? Sounds crazy, but it happens - to all of us!

Sorry if this is over simple, but when this happened to me it was because the lathe was spinning in reverse. Reverse is great for sanding, cutting left handed (from the back).

If your tool is not reacting at all, check the direction.

Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by John Keeton View Post
    Did you check to make sure the lathe was not in reverse?? Sounds crazy, but it happens - to all of us!
    Great suggestion, apparently we were both typing it at the same time.

John, you are an angel! Thank you so much. That is exactly what was wrong. I put it in reverse previously and must have forgotten to put it back. You just made my day as I was really disappointed at not being able to spend my day practicing what I had learned in my weekend class. I love this forum and have learned so much from reading it everyday.

thank you so very very much

JoAnn

Quote Originally Posted by JoAnn Duggan View Post
    John, you are an angel! Thank you so much. That is exactly what was wrong. I put it in reverse previously and must have forgotten to put it back. You just made my day as I was really disappointed at not being able to spend my day practicing what I had learned in my weekend class. I love this forum and have learned so much from reading it everyday.

thank you so very very much

JoAnn
    JoAnn, please don't feel bad about this mistake -- I also have a 1221VS and this happened to me, too. If there's one thing Jet left off the 1221VS it's a big, flashing read light that says "YO! You're in reverse!" It's way too easy to bump that switch.

Enjoy!

D.
    I finally figured out how to deal with sawdust in my hair.

I shaved my head.

This is a great trick to play on visiting demonstrators!

My very 1st thought as it happened to me last week - bumped the switch when hitting the off button. Glad I'm not the only one. Definitely a "Doah!" minute

Been there - done that!!!!!!!

Colby, Washington. Just across the Puget Sound from Seattle, near Blake Island.
    Glad the mystery has been solved so quickly, because this topic was going to draw a lot of sarcasm.

Russell Neyman

Writer - Woodworker - Historian
    Instructor: The Woodturning Experience
    Puget Sound, Washington State

"Outside of a dog, there's nothing better than a good book; inside of a dog it's too dark to read."

I recently spent a good hour drilling 4 pen blanks. They were some new kind of acrylic that I hadn't tried before. I was wondering why I couldn't go further than 1/4" at a time, figured my bit was very dull. WHOOPS!! Reverse was on.
    "a noble spirit embiggins the smallest man"

That problem is easier solved than buying a new bandsaw blade and putting in on in reverse. ' course I havent done that either.----not. Max

I put a new bandsaw blade on, and yes it does cut installed upside down. What a POS blade. Checked it 2 times, (and cut wood) before I checked a third time and noticed it was in wrong.....

Yes in turning in reverse.

Yes on reversed bandsaw blade.

And yes on one on one smokin' hot table saw blade.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Saw a movie with a lathe going in reverse .I immediately noticed the chips flying up and sticking to the work.