Thread: Transporting drum sander

Transporting drum sander

Good afternoon,
    I am looking for a little advice. I found a good deal on a performax 25 inch drum sander. It is about an hour and a half away from my house. I have 2 options on transporting it and I'm wondering what you recommend.

option one is leave the unit whole and load it onto my flat bed trailer and secure it with straps. The unit would be standing up is this safe for the machine to be transported in this manor?

option two I'm really not sure about but I'm wondering how hard it would be to remove the base and lay the machine down in the back of a Honda crv. I think the I feed and outfeed tables would also have to come off to do this.

Which would you recommend
    Attached Images Attached Images

trailer it.

I think the trailer would be the best, you may want to put a 4x4 or what ever under the center so there will not be so much load on the roller arms.

Trailer it. I'd remove the extension wings to reduce weight forces created from the trailer bouncing, and lower the drum onto a 24" block of wood laid parallel with the drum head to reduce any jarring and minimize adjustment when you get it home. I'd follow Bill's advice too, so you reduce any bouncing forces on the legs.
    -Lud

Thank you for the replys, I will trailer it and bring a bunch of blocking so I can support it and strap it down. I thought it was the better option but I've never moved one of these

steve

Trailer without a doubt. It would take quite a bit of dis assembly to get it into a CRV, plus they are very top heavy and awkward to maneuver off of the base. Strap it down good on the base, the base is very sturdy on these, you will be good to go.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

I've done it both ways. Not too bad to take apart but a trailer ought to be the first choice. If not, it can be done. Dave

Since no one else mentioned it, let me say congrats on a fine addition to the tool arsenal. As for moving; I vote for the trailer method, with blocking to keep it from rolling around and straps on all 4 corners.

Get a trailer and just roll it up the ramp.
    I recently picked up a 37x2 performax but the trailer I had rented was too small to fit it (the foot print was over 50"x40").
    So had to remove the base to fit it. It's fairly easy to remove it (if there are a few of you) but you shouldn't need this.

per4.jpgper1.jpg

Thanks for the advice, I picked up the sander today transported it on my trailer and had no problems during the hour and a half drive. The sander appears in like new condition, included 2 boxes of sand paper and works flawlessly. Here's my little gloat I got it for $400. I think that's a pretty good deal, and it almost completes my big tool purchases. The only down side is it can't fit in my current shop so my father gets a drum sander for the next year or so as I build my new house and shop. It's only 20 minutes away if I need it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by steve joly View Post
    thanks for the advice, i picked up the sander today transported it on my trailer and had no problems during the hour and a half drive. The sander appears in like new condition, included 2 boxes of sand paper and works flawlessly. Here's my little gloat i got it for $400. I think that's a pretty good deal, and it almost completes my big tool purchases. The only down side is it can't fit in my current shop so my father gets a drum sander for the next year or so as i build my new house and shop. It's only 20 minutes away if i need it.
    great deal!!!!! definitely rates a YOU SUCK!!! i got a ryobi 16/32 for $225 but your deal smokes mine. here's hoping it makes you WW as enjoyable as you want.

Nice score. I hope you use yours a lot more than I use mine. Maybe you can build your own cabinets for the new house...perhaps starting with the shop

Thanks, cabinets are one of the only things I'm not doing for the initial house. I started clearing the lot and having the wood milled over a year ago. It's almost entirely red oak. I am about to start making my floors using the wood from the lot. I am also building a curved staircase, and making all my trim. The cabinet maker we are using is local and is going to work with our wood. I would love to make my cabinets but with building the house there is no way I will have time to do everything. During the second phase of the house I will be building cabinets and furniture once we are moved in. Right now I'm working on the floors and getting the lot ready. Hopefully as the project gets going I will have much more to share, including my dream shop.