Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: I would love to see some user made molding planes!

Just for the record, there are at least two philosophies regarding the construction of side escapement planes. They differ dramatically. I have built planes using both of the methods and can tell you they both work just fine. Larry Williams advocates the traditional methods of design and construction while Tod Herrli is much more modern in his approach. I would suggest that if you are going to build any quantity of side escapement planes that you invest in both of their DVD's and check out the opportunities for differences yourself.

Just my $.02

David Turner
    Plymouth, MI.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    That is very impressive David T. I sure wish I had the time to take on a set like that. I'd love to see some close up shots of one or two of them.

I was afraid this thread was dead already, it's hard to believe that a forum full of neander's are not taking the time to rehab or make their own molding planes. I'd even like to see some made by the modern plane makers if anyone around here has bought some (Old Street Tool, M.S. Bickford, Philly, etc.). They are a fairly specialized tool, in this generation anyway, but I find them very interesting.
    Tony, here's a mini panel raiser from Philly:

20091202_212108.jpg

I bought it second hand. I believe it's an early effort; his current production appears a bit more refined judging from the web site. That aside, it works well.

Cliff

That's very cool Cliff. I have been eye balling his mini panel raiser for some time now. Is that plane built with a depth stop built into the plane? IF so what thickness material is it designed for? Or do you work to a gauge line on your material?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    That's very cool Cliff. I have been eye balling his mini panel raiser for some time now. Is that plane built with a depth stop built into the plane? IF so what thickness material is it designed for? Or do you work to a gauge line on your material?
    That "ledge" just outboard of the blade forms the depth stop. I'd guess it's about a 16th or so... I can't check it right now as the plane is at our new home in Maine (while I'm still sweltering here in Houston ). I've used the plane with 3/8ths material for small panels and about a quarter for drawer bottoms, but I'm only going down as far as the bevel there (no central relief area).

Cliff

Here are a 1/8", 1/4", and a 3/8" wide blade side escapement planes by Tod Herrli

2013-08-17 17.40.44.jpg

David Turner
    Plymouth, MI.

Quote Originally Posted by David Turner View Post
    Here are a 1/8", 1/4", and a 3/8" wide blade side escapement planes by Tod Herrli

2013-08-17 17.40.44.jpg

David Turner
    Plymouth, MI.
    David, are there any issues on those with the non-tapered blade slipping, or difficulties getting a tight wedge loose?

Cliff

Cliff:

I have both tapered iron and straight iron side escapement planes and I can not tell much difference in the amount of effort to remove the wedge; of course this is one of the philosophy differences between L. Williams and T. Herrli. John Whelan in his book on plane construction says he can not tell any difference either. I have already posted a picture of my half set plus of H & R's that I have under construction elsewhere in this thread so here is a picture of the Ohio Tool Co. half set in the bottom of my tool box. There is also some other profiles in there also.

David Turner
    Plymouth, MI.

Img0070.jpg

Blog Entries
    Great thread! Super impressive and iinpirational work with some truely. Excellent planes- thanks for sharing . You guys are motivating me to get over my fear of flames and hot metal!
    All the best. Mike