Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do I need a jointer?

Quote Originally Posted by David C. Roseman View Post
    I guess I'd differ on having a planer before a jointer. If there's any cupping, racking or twisting in the lumber, it really needs to be jointed before the planer can do its job.

As Steve says, there are other ways to machine a board flat than with a jointer. And you can do it by hand with a jointing plane, for that matter. But your pleasure in woodworking will really be kicked up a notch if you have room and the budget at this point for even a small jointer.

David
    Well, I CAN get a board true on two sides without a jointer (using a sled with a planer is probably the easiest way on the face and tablesaw jigs for the sides), but getting it true to those reference sides without a planer is imho even harder (at least on the face sides; the edges I'd run through the tablesaw to true to width more often than the planer unless the board was fairly narrow).

If you setup properly for it using a sled to face joint isn't really all that onerous, I didn't have a jointer for years, and while I surely do enjoy the one I have now it certainly wouldn't be the first machine I'd replace if I was starting over. The various sled tricks (planer sleds for medium pieces, router jigs for really wide ones, etc..) are worth learning anyway for when you get a piece of wood to wide for your jointer Edge jointing is definitely faster with a jointer but only maybe twice as fast as many of the alternative techniques - many of which are (again just imho) somewhat more reliable until you get your jointer setup properly and learn how to use it (and at least some of them are most likely safer). When setup well and used properly jointers are pretty sweet, if they are off (tables misaligned or cutter head to high/low mostly) they can be a real exercise in frustration.

In order of larger power tools I'd have want to keep I think it would be: a good bandsaw, planer, tablesaw, and finally jointer (ignoring all the "smaller" stuff like the shaper, and the "unrelated" stuff like the lathe - <3 my lathe, etc.. ) - this is of course not the order I originally bought in (more like crappy tablesaw, ok planer, upgrade tablesaw + planer/jointer and finally bandsaw, I regret the years I spent without a bandsaw but it certainly won't get you straight/flat faces).

The underlying issue essentially boils down to the old time versus $$'s and space tradeoff. If you can afford a good planer and a good jointer by all means go ahead and get both. Do you NEED a jointer? I've seen lots of people doing work of a high quality without one that says you don't (and some who are adamant that it wouldn't really save them any real time at all based on how they work).

I started this hobby with a 6" Delta jointer. I hated the knives, it was terribly under powered. The beds and fence where short. So I used it for edges.

As the hobby progressed, I realized that very few woods where available in S4S and started buying rough lumber. I started to learn to face joint and quickly realized I needed a bigger jointer.

I bought a capable jointer and have not bought surfaced lumber since. Mostly I buy 8/4 Rough stock and dress it myself.

We are all different but I use the Jointer and Bandsaw more than any other tools in the shop.. I have a thickness sander and honestly don't use my planer much because of my "style" ..

I will Face and edge joint a board, and rip it to parallel on the bandsaw.. Then run it through the thickness sander..

In my first post I said "come on by". I misread your last name Ken and thought it was posted by someone I know that lives about 15 miles from me although the offer stands if you're anywhere near McKinney Tx. that goes for anyone that needs a hand with something.
    Ken F. I'm glad your method works for you but I'd suggest face jointing first. That will give you a nice wide surface to hold against the fence while jointing the edge. Much easier to get the edge square to the face. Depending on how squirrelly the board is I think it would be tough to hold the narrow edge square to the fence while doing the face.
    Last edited by Steve Jenkins; 09-02-2013 at 3:17 PM.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

Ken

There are many ways too "skin the cat", so to speak, for a shop without a jointer. In all honesty though, at the end of the day, a jointer is a more efficient, cost conscience, method.
    A used 6" jointer would probably take care of the majority of what you are doing, and they are too inexpensive a method/machine too not pursue in my opinion. I can put a straight edge on a board a 1/2 dozen ways, none are as quick as a jointer. One face, one edge, a few minutes of time, and you're done.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cutler View Post
    Ken

There are many ways too "skin the cat", so to speak, for a shop without a jointer. In all honesty though, at the end of the day, a jointer is a more efficient, cost conscience, method.
    A used 6" jointer would probably take care of the majority of what you are doing, and they are too inexpensive a method/machine too not pursue in my opinion. I can put a straight edge on a board a 1/2 dozen ways, none are as quick as a jointer. One face, one edge, a few minutes of time, and you're done.
    Thanks, after reading the posts these are my thoughts exactly. I found a Grizzly G0452 6" for $325 from someone local, should be worth it from what I've looked up price wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    In my first post I said "come on by". I misread your last name Ken and thought it was posted by someone I know that lives about 15 miles from me although the offer stands if you're anywhere near McKinney Tx. that goes for anyone that needs a hand with something.
    Ken F. I'm glad your method works for you but I'd suggest face jointing first. That will give you a nice wide surface to hold against the fence while jointing the edge. Much easier to get the edge square to the face. Depending on how squirrelly the board is I think it would be tough to hold the narrow edge square to the fence while doing the face.
    Not a problem Steve, I'd love to stop by but I'm in the North East.

A jointer is the most effective and efficient method of straightening and flattening a board...straight flat lumber is a great starting point for any project. If you work with a lot of dimensional lumber, a jointer sure is handy....especially when used in tandem with a planer. There are other methods, but all are workarounds for not having a jointer. Watch Norm, David Marks, Tommy Mack, The Wood Shop, etc....all use a jointer and planer.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Garland View Post
    So I'm just an average joe woodworker building out of my garage. My typical constructions include end-tables, aquarium stands, benches, stools and other miscellaneous box shaped items. My big struggle is having straight lumber to work with, sometimes I end up with slightly off measure boards due to unequal edges in the wood. Will having a jointer resolve these issues?
    Do I need a jointer?

Yes

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fournier View Post
    Jointer, planer, tablesaw
    I wouldn't want to open a shop without those three; of course you can do it all with hand tools, or workarounds such as planer sleds, but oh, so slowly, IMO.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Jenkins View Post
    Your a good man to offer Steve, no matter who you were talking to . Kudos to you. I also agree that face jointing is first as edge jointing with an untrue face against the fence can be problematic but, to each their own. If it works, it works ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

If the workpieces are smaller, so you can make a jointing sled to use with a planer to give you that coveted true flat side. But in reality it is simpler to just get a jointer. another option is a heavy router with a straight bit and an EZ track.
    What does it mean when you've accumulated enough tools that human life expectancy precludes you from ever getting truly good with all of them?

Here's the router sled/planer I referred to up-thread.
    Going to use it on a redwood slab.
    I have used a router sled to plane boards to as thin as 1/8" thick.

Routerplaner3.jpg Routerplaner4.jpg
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Unless you have unlimited amounts of time to burn or just love doing things the hard way, you do need a jointer. However, you need to make sure you get one that is lined up right. Having a jointer and not knowing how to get it perfect is very stressful. Research jointer use and alignment before buying a used one (or a lower end new one for that matter.) Take some straight edges when you go to look at one and don't be afraid to make the adjustments it needs before testing it out. A bad jointer is not necesarily better than none at all.

But yes, you do need one...with sharp knives...and flat tables...and fence....and a bunch of other things.

Dan

Quote Originally Posted by scott spencer View Post
    A jointer is the most effective and efficient method of straightening and flattening a board...straight flat lumber is a great starting point for any project.
    I think those words were the most telling in the thread. The topic of having a jointer or not is a matter of opinion and preference, but weigh it against time, cost and convenience. Yes you can flatten wood face with other tool. Heck, you could do it with a spoon given enough time and skill, but it would be hardly worth it as there are better tools to do the job. I have both a jointer and a planer and use them both all the time. I had the space in my shop for both, and value my shop time that I want easy quick repeatable and accurate results and messing around with jigs, sleds and whatnot to make some other tool do a job that it really wasn't intended for didn't make any sense to me.

Ken. it sounds like you are buying pre-dimensioned lumber. A jointer probably wont solve your problem any better than a table saw would. It is really designed to make a single flat face on a board, and give a flat side that is 90deg to that face.

Matt

I have been ww'ing for about 15 years. Somehow I only just bought my first jointer and planer in the past couple months. No you don't HAVE to have one. BUT... if you can fit it in your budget, I highly recommend getting a jointer (as long as you already have a planer). It will open up so many more possibilities than just working with s4s and plywood.
    Duc in altum!