Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
I dont think you'd have any problem drilling and epoxying inserts into the granite to facilitate a direct mount of the hinge. Counter top fabricators do it all the time. And I wouldnt be concerned at all about the strength of the granite either. Its not uncommon for top fabricators to cantilever a 10-12 inch span unsupported. Thats a lot of weight that could be put on that lever when you think of a 350lb whopper with cheese leaning on the edge of that overhang (forget about a whole family's worth).

What I WOULD be concerned with is, is it worth the effort? Accurately boring and epoxying fasteners in any masonry or stone surface is a nightmare. Then you have the issue of mortising, alignment, and my major fear would be the fastener/insert being so close to the edge it could potentially blow the face/edge out if it fails.

Your central column doesnt seem that far of a reach either for the size of the table your building provided you have enough spread at the base.

Ill bet if you spend some time sketching it out in detail or in Sketchup you'll work your way through it.
Ive seen fabricators drill into the stone for mounting of a sink, a static load, not for a dynamic load, like the hinges. Huge difference. As to the cantilever I've seen it done but I wouldn't do it or suggested it. At least some brackets, corbels or something. Just saying better safe than with a 80 lbs stone dropping on my toe from 36".