Thread: From the Ashes

From the Ashes

We have a home in Yarnell, AZ This is a series of turnings I'm doing called "From the Ashes".

All the money from sales will go to plant saplings where the big trees were destroyed. I'm represented by a gallery in Prescott, AZ; Van Gogh's Ear, http://www.vgegallery.com/ They are donating all monies received from sales to the cause as well.

This piece is Live Oak. The tree was hit with a blow torch of wind driven fire. It was a bear to turn. I'm expecting it to twist and turn in time. It represents the changes in nature. The finish is Shell-wax and bits of skin from my fingers liberated while applying the finish.

Thanks for the help from members for info on turning burnt wood. I have devised a method for stabilizing the burnt bark, (charcoal) and keeping it on the blank during turning. More to come...

20130902_product_8028.jpg

Great concept and very kind of you, Marco. Looking forward to seeing the rest of the collection.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Great piece Marco. It's always nice to see fellow woodturners giving back to the community. I too am looking forward to your other pieces. What is the size of this one?
    Steve

Thanks for the kind words. This piece is 6 inches. I will have bowls to 20" and working on some vases as well. This thing has gone viral. I now have over 20 orders for pieces and have yet to put one in the gallery.

Fast becoming the worlds busiest free woodworker! I am also the chairman of the rebuilding committee. We are starting with homes for the uninsured. Check out the web site for details. www.http://yarnellhillrecoverygroup.org/

Thanks to all those who donated.

I guess they had insurance after all...YOU!
    I drink, therefore I am.

Marco, that is a gorgeous turning and a wonderful thing you are doing for the Yarnell area.
    Prayers go out to you and the rest of the people from Yarnell, and especially to the families of the Yarnell 19.
    Lori K