Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Steel City 35915G, 3HP, 220V, w/50" fence... $800?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Tarantino View Post
    hard to chip CI. easier to chip/crack granite. if you knew SC just reduced their new tool warranty from 5 years to 2, how would that affect a purchase decision?
    That's a disappointing piece of info. Hmmm... What do you think about the Grizzly 1023RLX? What is Grizzly warranty?
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dunn View Post
    That's a disappointing piece of info. Hmmm... What do you think about the Grizzly 1023RLX? What is Grizzly warranty?
    Grizz has a 1 year warranty.

So what saw should I buy?!?!? Agh!!! I'm so torn. This will be the last saw I buy (for a while) most likely. Decisions decisions...
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

So what is it exactly that distinguishes a hybrid saw from a cabinet saw? The trunnions and they're mounting style? SCTW advertises these saws as cabinet saws.

I'm leaning towards the CI top w/50" fence ATM.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

I think you'd be happy with either one. They both are similar saws with similar specs made by companies competing for the same section of the market.

If I recall correctly, Grizzly uses a trunnion system similar to that of the old Unisaws - a tried and true setup to be sure.

SC suspends the motor from the trunnions inline with the blade for smooth operation and no clunking on startup.

The Grizz is more of a "traditional" cabinet saw- cast iron table, old school design save for the blade shroud and the modern riving knife.

SC is a bit more contemporary. They obviously use the granite and have seamless tops where the extension wings bolt to the main table and form the miter slot. This means no seam and you can adjust the miter slot width if ever you need to.

I've had a few Grizzly products over the years and while they all have functioned fine, I've noticed they often have warts of cast iron where a section of the sand mold collapsed before casting. Grizzly will just machine them with all the rest and squirt the parts green. Everything Grizzly I've had has shown poor paint application with the machine coming out of the crate with paint chips and sections of missing finish. While these blemishes are only cosmetic, it's still nice to have a new machine that looks new and well made.

SC, at least as far as the 4 machines I own goes, has better QC. The finishes appear to be either powder coat or some manner of baked on enamel. I've not seen any casting flaws on the machines I own. I just feel the finish of the machines is quite a bit better than the Grizzly stuff. Of course this in only my opinion and your results may vary.

As for the cast or granite decision, that's up to you. I selected a full granite top for my new saw because my old saw'd CI top had bowed down in the middle. Of course the granite can chip if you're not careful but you can mitigate the risk by removing the T-slot washer from your miter gauges. If you're already heavily vested in magnetic jigs and featherboards, well then CI is probably the way to go. I rarely use featherboards on the tablesaw and I have a couple that lock into the miter slot for the rare occasion that I need one so the magnetic issue was a moot point.

If you've read about SC at all, you've probably already seen numerous posts speculating about the solvency of the company. SC did have some major supply chain problems a few years back but they're still here despite a recession and their own internal problems. I've seen they are launching a new "blue" line of tools here this month which suggests they aren't in eminent danger.

So ya. Get whichever one best suits your needs. Remember though, we require pictures or the purchase never happened!

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dunn View Post
    So what is it exactly that distinguishes a hybrid saw from a cabinet saw? The trunnions and they're mounting style? SCTW advertises these saws as cabinet saws.

I'm leaning towards the CI top w/50" fence ATM.
    Your hybrid saws usually have 110v motors in the ballpark of 1.5 - 1.75 hp.

The hybrids can't breed ....so you have to BUY replacements .

Quote Originally Posted by Brett Robson View Post
    I think you'd be happy with either one. They both are similar saws with similar specs made by companies competing for the same section of the market.

If I recall correctly, Grizzly uses a trunnion system similar to that of the old Unisaws - a tried and true setup to be sure.

SC suspends the motor from the trunnions inline with the blade for smooth operation and no clunking on startup.

The Grizz is more of a "traditional" cabinet saw- cast iron table, old school design save for the blade shroud and the modern riving knife.
    The G0690 fits that description, but not the G1023RL. It's sort of an irony, since the G1023 uses the same model number as their older design. The new G1023"RL" series uses a vertical elevation gear and dovetail ways to support and move the arbor, as well as a modern serpentine drive belt....it's a pretty slick updated design IMO.

G0690/691:

G1023RL/W/X:

original G1023 based on the Unisaw design:

Hybrids generally have a lighter duty rating and smaller motors, but there are no standard definitions, so the marketers have a field day.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 09-16-2013 at 6:00 AM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

I pulled the trigger. I ended up going with the CI top, 3HP, 220V, 50" rail, laminate extension w/legs, and phenolic ZCI.

I talked them down to $1000 out the door. The ZCI was a bonus. I fired it up and inspected things thoroughly. It sure looks like a great saw. They said almost all of the returns are due to shipping damage. Certainly possible.

I came pretty close to buying a 3 phase, 7.5HP CI top with 30" for $1759. More than I can justify at this time.

I'm signing the lease on my shop tonight or tomorrow pending scheduling availability.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

Sounds like a great deal, I'm sure you'll love it!

Nice deal....congrats!
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

My shop is complete... I signed the lease last night and I'm all moved in...

LOL!!!
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

That poor saw looks lonely...lonely...lonely. Hello.....hello....hello....anyone there?....anyone there?....anyone there? !

Building TWW's lumber rack, putting up some pegboard, by some, I mean an absolute crapload of it. 25 sheets... To start. Me likes to hang things. Then to assemble me new SCTW saw, then build and assembly table, install a couple French doors between the main shop area and the 'assembly area', and one from the assembly area to the 'finishing' area. In quote because I'm not 100% decided on the purpose those two rooms will serve.

Pics..

I'm torn as to where I should put the DC. I just order the CVMAX (10% off and free shipping for the 5 6" blast gates... Woo hoo!!!) I'm thinking right next to the breaker box. Easy 220V. I'd really like it to be in the small nook which is 3.5'x8.5'. I'd really like to enclose the DC. This space is quite reverberant and my ears have little tolerance for unnecessary noise let alone a 3.5 second decay due to the impulse response of the room.

Any thoughts? I'll upload a rough shop layout later...

I'm thinking the table saw roughly where it currently is. The jointer along the right wall just beyond the lumber rack, then perhaps the WM-718.

The left wall is just screaming for tons of shop built wall cabinets and a dedicated MS or RAS station. Shelving/storage beneath the stairs.
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

Just a thought, but granite did go out of vogue pretty quickly. Cast iron after generations is still the material of choice. There is something to be said about the collective wisdom of the craftsmen culture.