Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Church Craft sale

Church Craft sale

I am wondering what would be best to sale at a church ? It will be in Nov.

candles holders come to mind

I'll let you know what sells. Ours starts Thursday. I donated 5 bowls, 6 vases, 2 cups, and assorted mushroom and finger-top toys.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

4. Crosses................

5. Not everyone who comes to a church craft fair is necessarily looking for something of a religious nature.......some are. I have found along with the religious items that regular items can go well. We had one several years ago, and we had beaded Christmas ornaments, wreaths and numerous other items that went well.

Back then I was not turning wood, just doing flatwork. I made shelves, trash cans, bachelor chairs, and assorted other woodworking items like you might find in Country Sampler magazine..........ran out of items and had more requests than I could fill.

What ever you decide on, I hope it goes well for you and the church. At our craft fair, 10% of the proceeds went to the church building fund.
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

My small bowls have gone for much higher prices at our church sale than I charge for them. Also have had good luck with wedding goblets (wine glass with interlocking rings on stem). Small vases also sold well.

Weed pots and believe it or not wine bottle stoppers.

Anything turned from Bethlehem Olivewood.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

In my area, anything priced less than $50. Folks don't come to a craft sale around here and expect to buy $100 items.

On the candle-holder… I recommend a fire-proof barrier between the candle and the wood, either glass or metal, so that we do not accidentally set up a torch.

I do not do church sales but if I did I would go with the Rob Rosand format offering plenty of small items such as candle holders, ring holders and other things for $15-20. Maybe some pens, pencils, and letter openers as well for slightly more. Everybody can leave with a little something. Just my thought. Vince
    VincesWoodNWonders

I just donated several bird houses and a 13" mesquite platter with stone inlay and a 14" mesquite bowl. The houses went for about $40ea
    and the mesquite items $200ea. Byron Of course all my labor not figured in.

MY experiences......

In the shows I participated in, small gift type items, utilitarian pieces did well. I shared a booth with my mother who was a basketweaver so I always enjoyed the time. I always made money even in lean times. The primary attendees (and buyers) are women looking for good deals. The men are usually home watching football and babysitting the kids. They are not the artsy type typically although I did have at least 3 invites to upscale shows so those folks do attend. My biggest sellers were pens, bottlestoppers, change bowls, ring cups, small boxes. Most of my items were under $45 which is the price-break I found with women looking for gifts for men, bosses, pastors, etc. I always stocked 5-6 of my expensive (i.e > $75-300) HF, decorative bowls, too. They would draw in folks....some sold, too.

I always chatted customers up. I would practically be hoarse by the end. But I loved doing it. I would display on a black table cover and bring raw pieces of wood/blanks to use as stands and show people "...from this piece of wood/log, I made this really cool piece...". The best draw to my table were pieces made from Banksia pods so I always kept a raw one handy to explain the story of them. I likened them to magnolia tree pods which Southeners understand immediately. I always dropped the "Sustainable" eco stuff, too.

Keep a candy bowl out because small kids will pull in mothers (and grandmothers). Spinning tops are a draw, too and a large flat platter to spin them in. I personally don't like to make tops since the time involved exceeds the value I could sell them for....but they did draw customers and they invariably sold out, too. I cannot count the number of stories shared by grandfathers about their shop experiences in high school to their grandchildren. These guys are your target market for spinning tops harkening the days of honest-to-god-simple toys.

If you can pay extra for a better spot ($10-20 more) do so to ensure you get in the largest vendor room. Traffic diminishes when you get stuck in a classroom turned into a room for 4-5 other vendors. People walk by, look in then keep walking. Hallways create congestion issues. Hopefully, your craft show is not on a weekend of the intra-state rivalry football game.

I have actually never sold crosses at a church craft show. I'm sure other vendors will have them. I haven't told you anything that you couldn't find online somewhere. But I enjoyed writing this as my mother passed away in January and I just got the invitation to my church's craft fair...they thought I had forgotten. Never.

Well, a few hours into our craft show, the four $60 bowls sold right away. Then the $30 bowl. None of the $2 tops or mushrooms. Half of the $15 vases have sold. Both of the $15 chalices sold.

I'm surprised the tops didn't sell .Makes me wonder if people knew what they were, the last child I saw using one was me.