Thread: Two Lathe's 2hp 3ph only one VFD

Two Lathe's 2hp 3ph only one VFD

I have 2 lathes running 2hp,3ph,220vac and THINK I can put a 3way on-off-on switch between the motors and the VFD and run both from one. OK does this seam like it should work,I can't imagine ever needing both these lathes at once so I'm really only running one lathe from the VFD.
    Comments and Constructive Criticism Welcome

Haste in every craft or business brings failures. Herodotus,450 B.C.

Feasible however you have to be extra careful to shut down at the vfd first. If you accidentally flip the switch off/over while it's running one motor you could break the vfd (could not will but to high of a chance to try it.)

You might consider mounting a four pole outlet powered by the VFD and just plugging either lathe into the outlet. Still have to work out control details though.

I've been told that it will work just fine by a couple of people. Especially if both machines have the same specs (hp, start up delay, break time, etc). BUT, in my opinion, it is more worth it to me to get two VFDs. That way, if you want to sell either machine (for whatever reason), you are selling it as a single phase machine, and it is worth at least the $150 extra that you are spending on the VFD.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Dennis
    Outstanding idea and I do believe I have the plug I'll need. Thanks for the rapp in the head.

Yeah just don't unplug the active lathe until the VFD has shut down power or the VFD can get grumpy....

The more I think the more I'm deciding to just get another VFD. Like Mike said just in case,and I wont worry about flipping the switch or pulling the plug.

You should never connect or disconnect a load (the motor) from a VFD unless the VFD is off otherwise you could damage the VFD circuits!