Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What would be the most useful next tool...

Millers Falls Langdon Mitre Box or one just as nice, send the saw out to be sharpened. I use my Mitre box all the time. I use it so much I had to use the dust collector the other day to clean the table off around it.

Books, DVDs or a class with a pro.
    Or if you don't already have them all of the large Fine Woodworking magazines and as many past that as you can afford.
    does that surprise you ?
    Once there then you will be telling us which tool to buy next.

If you already have a load of those then . . .
    how about a 48 inch Starrett straight edge. I sure use the heck out of mine.
    Got one ? Well that just leaves buying wood.

enjoy what ever you wind up getting.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

I decided on the tenon saw. Just put a deposit down with Mark Harrell on a 16" filed for a hybrid cut. I'm going to look at our own Ron Bontz' saws for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Wilkins View Post
    I decided on the tenon saw. Just put a deposit down with Mark Harrell on a 16" filed for a hybrid cut. I'm going to look at our own Ron Bontz' saws for the future.
    Cool! What did you go with for back/nuts/handle, etc?
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    Cool! What did you go with for back/nuts/handle, etc?
    Good question. I always marvel at the different bling one can order for these cool saws. One day when I'm big.........
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    Good question. I always marvel at the different bling one can order for these cool saws. One day when I'm big.........
    Yeah you gotta give Mark credit. Not only is a he a fantastic saw maker, but his business and marketing skills are pretty brilliant. He uses words like "saw bling", offers a bunch of cool customizations, and give his saws names like Doc Holiday.

As far as boutique tool makers go, I'd say his business sense is second to none.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

I got a 16" tenon saw filed hybrid with the Pennsylvania Fiddleback Maple handle and black oxided back and nuts. Almost went with the black pearl but didn't.

Wow. I haven't looked at that site in a while. I didn't realize he had so many handle species options now. He's really expanded...business must be booming. That'll be a cool saw.

I wish he'd have come out with the polished nickel backs earlier, but hey. . .it's not like the saws I have are annoying to look at for me. Stainless back is rip, nickel-blue back is x-cut, copper back is hybrid for me.

Good choice on the saw. I wish I would have had my 16" tenon saws when I made my bench, but I made do with the Veritas saws I had and a little chisel ingenuity to knock out the cheeks.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

Sounds like you need some kind of joinery saw, like a tenon or dt saw.

If you're unhappy with your block, I'd look first at the LN102, Veritas Apron (or the LN/LV adjustable blocks). If I had to have only one plane, it'd be one of these two.

Freehanding an accurate chamfer isn't nearly as hard to do as cutting perfect tenons/dovetails; I'd spend first on precision saws.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Cruea View Post
    I wish he'd have come out with the polished nickel backs earlier
    Look, you could always opt for the Silver Side Up polished back but the reality is that other options are available Here and Now. I think if Mark were to bring out a new saw with multiple medallions and call it the Three-Sided Coin, we would have a winner for All the Right Reasons, especially if you are a Hesher from the Deep South who will appreciate this Dark Horse.

The State of his backlog certainly Curbs potential profits further down The Long Road.

Work that out Creekers!
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post

Work that out Creekers!
    Google worked it out for me. Also, Nickleback sucks!

(Except for that "Rockstar" song. That's kinda a fun song..not really a good song, but I like it....but everything else sucks)

Last edited by Chris Griggs; 10-02-2013 at 9:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    Google worked it out for me. Also, Nickleback sucks!

(Except for that "Rockstar" song. That's kinda a fun song..not really a good song, but I like it....but everything else sucks)

Thank you for saying what I would have said, just in an eloquent manner.

My method of speech is more along the Texas metal line, not soft Canadian pop.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

The backsaw gap from 12" to 16" is real; they feel quite different. (Says the man with 9", 12", 14", 16", and 20" backsaws, rip and x-cut).

My LN 20" 12tpi x-cut is also used, but not as frequently.
    AKA - "The human termite"

have you seen the skewed block plane form Lee Valley? can plane rabbetts.