Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Spiral Dream

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Enjoy I am! What an incredible piece!

Some people are artists and the rest of us waste our money buying tools..... Nicely done Bill!
    Ken, you & Steve have been around my work since day one back in 2005 I believe. Thanks for your influence & compliments & the Holley you sent me way back when.
    What you listen to is your business....what you hear is ours.

Simply amazing! I can just imagine the great feeling you had when it was finally done. Congratulations on the awards. They are certainly well deserved. Thanks for sharing it and inspiring us.

That is Beautiful!!
    Greg Ketell
    "Permanent Turning Newbie" aka "Always trying something new"

See my photo gallery here
    (in need of updating)

Blog Entries
    Well, I decided to order the Baileigh SD 174 drum sander for my prize. http://wood.baileighindustrial.com/drum-sander-sd-174 We're doing more & more cabinet & flat work here so It's my best choice to keep things running smoothly (pardon the pun) I'm always having to take work home to use my Drum sander there. Now I'll be able to keep right on moving with my projects.

Blog Entries
    I know this is old news but I got some new photo stuff and tried taking some better pics. You photo guys let me know how bad it is if you don't mind.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I wouldn't call myself a "photo guy" (though I do rag on Keller when he submits blurry pics...), but I'd say this is nice and clear! My only suggestion would be to do something about the shadows. In particular, the one to the left of the finial. That somehow distracts my eye. Though, the rest do not...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Bill, I just got done with a Stuart Mortimer symposium and came home inspired. Tonight I hacked off a piece of maple and started carving and shaping. I got it all hollowed out and then I found your's here on SMC! I think I'll just put mine in the burn pile. That is some fantastic work! Just getting as far as I've got mine, I really understand the work in these things. And I'm hacking away with a foredom and it's still lots of work.
    oh and congrats on the contest, for sure you deserved it.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Josh, I would be very interested in having a class with him. This is my first attempt with what I learned on the spiral finial tutorial here. I was trying every tool I have to clean up the spirals. PM me if I can ever be of help. The secret, keep removing material until you can see through the wood LOL.
    Last edited by Bill Wyko; 10-05-2013 at 2:35 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Wyko View Post
    LOL, I do have nails but my finger tips are killing me from sanding. I probably have 10 hours of sanding in total in this thing. Bubinga is hard as nails.
    I think Bubinga is African for, "OMG that's hard wood!"

That's an incredible piece. Thanks very much for sharing.

Blog Entries
    My pleasure Dave, Josh, your in box is full, PM me when you have it cleared out, I have a solution for you.

That just rocks Bill!! Surprised that one of the more popular crowd didn't announce the Wow cover as they do for more famous posters...you deserve it!!
    Your Respiratory Therapist wears combat boots

Bill,
    All the finger pain was worth it in my opinion. Of, I don't have the pain, you do. Seriously Bill, an exceptional piece. WOW made the right choice. Very well done. Thanks for sharing it.
    Regards, Ken

Become a Contributor at SMC and keep this great source of Knowledge and help from becoming only a memory.

That is a very intricate work! You did a great work!