Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Powermatic 3520B or Nova DVR XP?

I love my DVR-XP! That being said if I had the $$$$ I would go for the PM3520b. Nothing wrong with my Nova but the added 4" swing, weight and I like Powermatic machines.

Sid
    Sid Matheny
    McMinnville, TN

I have a DVR XP, and it is a great lathe for its price point and capability, but it is NOT a 3520, they are just in different classes. They are both some of the top machines in their respective classes in terms of quality and performance, but different classes of equipment.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

I realize you have now made your decision but in case others are pondering the 3520 vs dvr question, here is my take....

I've never turned on a Powermatic anything.
    I owned a DVR XP for a couple of years and I loved it. The only downfall of it was/is the narrow bed. it just doesn't have the secure, stable feel of a wider bed like a Oneway, a Robust, a big General (I've turned on each of them) or a Stubby (which I now own). If I still owned it, I would make up a new bed for it (and probably add a couple of inches in swing).

Short of that, I cannot see anyone wanting more than the DVR can do within its capacity.
    Nova DVR XP, so-so Sears bandsaw, no-name grinder, a load of Thompson tools, growing pile of "design opportunities"

I 'm ready to buy a Nova DVR XP

My budget and needs make the Nova a good choice. The Woodcraft sale makes the time right to make a move.
    If this is the time for someone to move up from his or her DVR XP to a PM or some other bigger lathe, maybe we can each have what we need. Please get in touch if you have a Nova you want to sell.
    Thanks,
    Ron

Ron,

the Nova DVR is a good lathe and you'll have a lot of fun with it. As a Nova 1624 owner, I do suggest that you make a ballast box for weighting down the lathe and throw the "live center" that comes with it, in the trash! Splurge on a OneWay live center or at least an aftermarket one. I recently bought the OneWay and can't believe how bad the factory live center and the Woodcraft special I have, are in comparison!
    -------
    No, it's not thin enough yet.
    -------

I have the DVR XP and love it. I use the swiveling headstock all the time. when I have finished the outside of a bowl I pivot the headstock to " hollow" the inside without having to stand on my head to see around the edge. I also have the outboard fitting but have only used it on occasion. The motor is smooth as silk and the speed control is easy to use. I dial up a preset and use the arrows to set the speed I want for the job. With all the comments about speed I wonder if setting the speed should be an issue anyway. Sure the PM is a bigger and heavier machine but you can get a large number of "things" for $1700.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy Hamaker View Post
    It seems to me you ask us to not do what it is that you're asking us to do. But I guess I can oblige you anyway, because there is NO comparison between the DVR XP and the 3520B. I mean NO slight to the DVR XP although I'm sure some DVR owners will take it that way anyway. But we're talking about completely different classes of machines.
    If you really want to decide whether to buy the DVR or not, then I feel you should be comparing it to something more along the lines of the Jet 1642. Now we can argue the details within a similar operating capacity and price range. (and the equation actually inverts then, too: is the DVR XP with accessories at around $3k worth the premium over the 1.5HP Jet 1642 at $2.4k all up.?)
    Hi Jeremy, I don't want to get into a pissing contest with you but the 3520b and DVR XP are similar because they are close to the same size in their footprints. The Jet is way too big. Sorry, I probably should have mentioned this in my OP.

Jim,

I have avoided this discussion I do not want to offend anyone, but here I go. I Own a DVR XP, a long bed Robust American Beauty, and a Woodfast. I teach on a Jet 1642 and have used a 3520B quite a bit. I have turned on a Oneway 2436 and a Vicmarc VL300. All good capable lathes. My favorite is my American Beauty, IMHO it is the all around best production bowl and vessel lathe made.

With the Nova it really depends on the stand that it sits on. The lathe is only as rigid as its stand. I built a stand and the lathe all up ways north of 800lbs. It is as stable as any lathe I have ever used. The nova is a heck or a lathe for the sale price in a compact package. It has IMHO a better banjo then the jet 1642 It has more power and overall a smoother motor. I have never had an issue with mine and it has served me well and that is the reason that I have kept it. The speed change is a non issue for me. It in reality has never slowed me down. Now with that being said if you just want to pull it out of the box an use it, the 3520 is a much more stable lathe out of the box. If you are willing to put in the effort, have the time and skills, a well fabricated stand can really turn the DVR into a fantastic lathe. I think I spent about $300 building my stand. But there was a bunch of labor involved.

Here is a picture of mine after I completed the stand.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Trinkle View Post

As a result, my decision has been to take a shot at their new 24-36 REVO lathe. I like the idea of the DC motor that won't bog down under load at low speeds, and looks like it has some new, unique features that set it apart from the PM and Nova.
    DC motor? The specs I am looking at show a 3 phase induction motor with a VFD!

DC motors are famous for poor low end torque. The 3ph with VFD should be much better.

The Grizz 18/47 has also gone to 3ph with VFD! The Laguna 18/47 also shows 3ph VFD. Look like the same lathe except the Laguna uses a different motor with tach feedback for speed control.

I'll be waiting to see you review on the Revo 24-36!

The Laguna lathes use a brushless DC motor. I don't know about all the electronic stuff in them, but they are far better than the older version DC motors that were on the old Nova lathes. They are supposed to keep up the torque at low speeds. I need to test drive one.....

robo hippy

It depends on the goals of what you want to turn. If you have no desire to turn humongous bowls etc., spending the money on a great big lathe with all of the bells and whistle can be a waste of money. A Jet 1221 is all I need, anything bigger would waste shop space and money. The biggest bowls I turn about 6" in diameter, no desire for turning anything bigger. Making game calls is my passion, I have lathes now, an old Delta and a newer Rikon, neither has any bells are whistles, but I can make predator calls in about 15 minutes and they sell for about $20 each. For me buying a Powermatic would be like buying a Kenworth tractor to drive to the grocery store, a waste of good money.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kirkpatrick View Post
    the 3520b and DVR XP are similar because they are close to the same size in their footprints. The Jet is way too big. Sorry, I probably should have mentioned this in my OP.
    Ah! Yeah in terms of footprint, they do take up similar amounts of space...
    Best of luck with whatever you choose. A new lathe is ALWAYS a joy to bring into a shop!

Sweet stand! Would you mind sharing the plan for that stand?! I am not a metal worker (have my hands full being one with wood, thanks) but I might want to have one made by a machinist though. I have been pondering the question posed by this thread for while and I think my needs and budget are best served by the DVR XP too.

Thanks...Matt

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Kestenbaum View Post
    I have been pondering the question posed by this thread for while and I think my needs and budget are best served by the DVR XP too.

Thanks...Matt
    A lot of good info from both schools of thought here. As I mentioned before, by the time I buy stand, ext. bed and outrigger tool rest, I'm in for almost $3k, even with the sale. Now Equipment Sales and Service through November, is offering the PM 3520b for $3500 shipped with liftgate service. I think that's the way I'm leaning now.

Now Equipment Sales and Service through November, is offering the PM 3520b for $3500 shipped with liftgate service. I think that's the way I'm leaning now.
    I have been following this thread with interest. I don't know much about the Nova but I bought a new 3520B back in the spring and it is a real nice machine. I don't think you will be disappointed with PM. I ordered mine through Amazon for $3400 with free shipping.
    Fred