Thread: Powermatic 6" jointer value

Powermatic 6" jointer value

I can get a gold series Powermatic 6" jointer for $450. 1hp single phase 110v. What's the going price on these? Good deal?

Depends on whether it's American made or not. If American, then that's a good price. I paid $400 for mine a bit over 10 years ago. If not, then it's a so so price on a mustard painted generic 6" jointer, assuming it's not the long bed version that PM made. (I don't know the origin of the longbed versions.)
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

Thanks John, it may warrant a phone call for more information regarding the. Intage. Craigslist ad was kinda vague.

FYI - Its a Powermatic 54A Deluxe 6-inch Jointer with the Quick Set Knives. Does this help?

The current 54A looks like just over $1,000 new, so you're in the right starting ballpark on the money. I like my 6" Grizzly jointer, but that 66" long bed on the 54A would be a treat by comparison to the 42" +/- what i'm using. Sounds like it may warrant a look.
    earl

Looks like a nice machine to me...

http://www.pricescale.net/product.php?type=B000BHNC0C

About $1100 new.

$250 in my area (Los Angeles). Supply and prices vary regionally. In my area 6" jointers are common second-hand machines and sell for $75 and up. 8" jointers start at $300 with Powermatic fetching $450-$550. I know because I sold one a year or two ago. Long bed machines may fetch more and of course upgraded cutterheads are a thing.

Pay more for Powermatic if you want to. Many people will. But be aware that a 6" jointer is a straightforward machine and they all pretty much get the job done the same, even the no-name ones from Taiwan. Real industrial class machines are a different story.
    Last edited by Loren Woirhaye; 10-29-2013 at 9:28 PM.