Thread: help finding 1/2 x 1/8 miter gauge for a vintage shaper

help finding 1/2 x 1/8 miter gauge for a vintage shaper

I have a vintage Walker Turner shaper, a small one. The slot is 1/2 wide by 1/8 deep. I'm thinking about cannibalizing the miter gauge of an old Sears Companion saw, and getting a local machine shop to drill a piece of steel bar so the protractor can be fitted onto it. But maybe there's another tool out there with a 1/2" slot?

Henry, that's an unusual size for sure. Your idea for making your own miter bar is probably your only option short of machining down your existing miter bar to fit.

One thing to consider before you go to the trouble though. Miter gauges are only of limited use on a shaper. In my experience, a shaper cutter wants to pull and lift the wood, so it's very difficult to get a clean cut with just a miter gauge. Out of square at best, dangerous at worst. Most WWers use a sled where you can clamp down the work and hold it stationary. You can definitely make a hardwood miter bar and screw it to the bottom of a sled as you would a table saw crosscut sled.

Ditto. Do not use a miter gauge- especially with a shallow bar - as a stand alone guide on a shaper unless you want to collect on disability. Make a sled and use heavy stock to give the sled some stability. You want to eliminate as much vibration as possible. Dave

You could also make a bed board that clamps to the shaper table, run a miter gauge slot into that or use Incra aluminum slot, and work off of that. My biggest shaper has no miter gauge slot at all. I don't have a problem using a miter gauge for cabinet door parts, little more is required, at work that's what provided and it does the job. At home I have sleds with a few destaco's . My other shaper is a minimax and its slot is non standard too, so its a sled there.

I'll vote for just skipping the miter gauge all together. I use the slot on my delta shaper for a coping sled, but there are lots of ways to skin a cat, and the slot is not the only way to cope.

That said, this type of bar stock might be of use
    http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INLMKD?S...01=1&SICOUNT=1

And if you do use a sled, you may want to have a fence on both sides of the cutter, and a hood of some sort, as a plan B to keep the sled from getting sucked in.

My (very) belated thanks for these suggestions. I did not get an email notice that the question had received supplies. Will have to check my settings.

So what did you decide to do?