Thread: Making a list

Making a list

Well I bought my first turning book, its a large one from Tauton. From what I can gather now I just need a lathe, face guard, gouges, a good chuck(Oneway or something)grinder, Wolverine sharpening system, eventually a Jamieson hollow form system, a buffer. I am sure I am missing a bunch of things plus the money to purchase them all. I really want to do bowls, lidded boxes and hollow forms. This forum has really driven me to start turning. You guys post so many incredible items and I just feel left out. I have done plenty of flat work, but I just have to learning spinning. I would like the Jet 1442, or the Delta 14". Thanks for any information.

Add a band saw to your list. It makes preparing blanks a lot easier.

For turning tools you can pick up the 8 piece set from HF for about $40.00. There HS steel and will get you started.

Don't forget the chainsaw! For your grinder, wait for a Woodcraft sale on their 8" slow speed grinder ($75)...after truing the wheels, mine is about the only machine in my shop that will pass the nickel test, and they come with a couple of nice wheels! If it were my choice, I would take the Jet lathe over the Delta in a heartbeat. I don't have a dedicated buffer...just use one mounted on the lathe. Be prepared...once you get that machine, there will be no turning back...you are doomed!
    Last edited by Carole Valentine; 09-02-2005 at 10:58 PM.

Nickle test?

Ok Carol, you got my curiousity up. Whats a nickle test? Also I don't know what I would do without a drill press. Lol. Lathe, grinder, bandsaw, drill press, chisels, drill bits, more chisels, blanks, sandpaper, finishes, on and on. Lots of fun though. Keeps ya out of the bars. Have fun.

Hey Chris, everything on your list is nice but if you really want to start turning you don't need most of it. If you get hooked you will end up with it, trust me, but to start you can get the HF tools already mentioned, attach the wood with the face plate and go to town. You can get by with a cheap grinder with a white grinding wheel. You can get a piece of wood somewhat trued up on a bandsaw, with a chain saw, hand saw...

Have you watched David Marks on DIY? He has to be one of the premier woodworkers around and does turnings that sell for huge amounts. He mounts the wood on a face plate with a sacrificial block and turns the outside and inside entirely from there...no chucks.

Most of us are not only woodturners, we're tool techies, so don't believe that you have to have every latest gadget.

Earl

Thanks for the input. I will definately use it.