Thread: Oscillating Spindle Sander - Ridgid vs. Jet

Oscillating Spindle Sander - Ridgid vs. Jet

I've been looking for an oscillating spindle sander for some time and believe that I've narrowed it down to the Ridgid edge/spindle and the Jet JBOS-5.

I've looked at the Grizzly's but the plastic base is a bit of a turnoff (weight) as I don't like to have to clamp down a tool to keep it from moving. I've read some other things about them but I figure it's most likely a few bad apples as the other Grizzly tools that I have are pretty well built. I saw where WOOD magazine rated the Craftsman 21500 pretty high but it looks to have the same specs as one of the Grizzly and Powertech sanders. I'm not against this one but I'm not totally sold as they are all a little over $200 shipped as I have to pay tax on them regardless. I also saw where WOOD rated the General International very high, this looks like the Jet pretty much on paper. Also mentioned was the Ridgid which leads me to believe that a magazine review on this topic is pretty well founded.

I've done the math and there is a $200 price difference between the two (until midnight tonight) figuring in no tax & free shipping vs going to HD and paying tax. I already have a nice 6x80 Grizzly edge sander and a variety of belts so I'm not sure what I'd do with the edge sander on the Ridgid. One high point is that I have a ton of 3x24 belts for my belt sander and with the Ridgid taking 4x24 I could most likely use those (please chime in if not).

Either way I figure that I'd have to purchase some more sanding sleeves. Is it normal for one to want to go to 120 or 150 on the sleeves? If so can any company's sleeves work on another tool? For example would some woodstock sleeves work on the Jet?

I don't generally buy much in the cheap frame of things as I like to have things work for many years and know that it'll do what I need, when I need. Both of the sanders mentioned seem to be decent in terms of reviews, warranties and manufacturers so I think that I'd get a pretty good tool either way. I doubt that anyone has had both but thought I'd check in to possibly get another perspective before sitting down to finalize it. Any insight is welcome.

I have the Ridgid model and I have run the heck out of it. It is still going strong after several years. I will say that at least half of its usage has been in the edge sander configuration because I don't have a nice edge sander. If it were to burn up today, I would immediately go down to HD and buy another one.

+1 for the Ridgid. And the lifetime warranty, and the edge belt sander (even though I have others), and the well designed dust collection, and the weight (enough to be stable in place, but not too much for lifting), and years of durability (so far).

I will go against the grain here. If you already have a larger edge sander, get the Jet OSS. I had the Ridgid for a year or so. The belt never did track well. It worked fine as a spindle sander but I found the spindles too short. The big table is nice but the coating on the table started to wear and leave marks on the wood. I think the Jet is built much better.

I've owned the Jet for a number of years. It's solidly built and I've had no trouble with it. I assume it's still the case that the 3" spindle is extra; if so, and you think you'll need it (I did) then you have to factor that into the cost.

The Ridgid is pretty much a toy as opposed to the Jet, which is more of a tool.

Nothing against the Ridgid - It is a very nice toy & I'm real happy with mine.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

The Ridgid is very popular and for a reason. Seems to be a solid tool.

I happen to have the Jet. My favorite feature is it has an induction motor and gearbox that are as quiet as can be.

The Jet is a little tall to use on my workbench - so it sits on a cart to put it at the desired work height.

Just another opinion for you.

Kevin, you are correct in that the 3" is an add on item. I've read where some people purchase it saying that it's a must have. Perhaps this is due to lack of ownership but after a 2" spindle why would there be a need to go any larger? Is it simply to use the sleeve a longer time, does it have something to do with dust, I'm just guessing but hoping that someone could educate me on this as I'm now curious.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin McCluney View Post
    I've owned the Jet for a number of years. It's solidly built and I've had no trouble with it. I assume it's still the case that the 3" spindle is extra; if so, and you think you'll need it (I did) then you have to factor that into the cost.

The larger spindle helps with sanding more gentle, larger radius curves. I bought one, and would consider it pretty necessary.

Never tried the Ridgid. The Jet is a workhorse and is very quiet.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

10. I think you will find that the Craftsman, the Grizzly G0723, and actually, the Menard's MasterForce spindle sander, along with probably several other house brands, are all the same. Pretty much the only difference between the three is the labels, and the color of the body on the Craftsman. I see those units as the type you whip out from underneath the bench to do a little sanding, and stick them back when you are done. The units you were comparing seem to me to be a really apples to oranges comparison. I have to imagine that the Jet would be the superior sander, considering the quite superior price tag attached to it (I'm seeing a $200 difference in price). I would go with the Jet, however, not until I compared it to comparable models in the same price range.....

Wasn't there a story here a few days ago about the Ridgid sander being discontinued?

There was another thread about discontinuing the the Ridgid, but it does not seem to be true. If it were discontinued we should all go together and buy the rights because there is nothing like it.