Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Electric Shaver

Which Electric Shaver

After paying $20 for razor blades yesterday, I've decided to try an electric shave one more time. It has been probably 30 years since I've used one.
    What are your opinions about:
    1. Electric vs. blade? (Obviously both have gotten better in the last 30 years)
    2. Which is the best? (It looks like both Braun and Philips lead the pack and I don't mind spending the bucks for the high end ones if they are worth it)

Your opinions please.
    Thanks
    Tom

2 Chronicles 7:14

I have a Braun and I've had it for about 7 yrs or so. I really like it. It was a serious upgrade over the Remington that I had before it. The Braun has held up well and gives me a good shave. I can't ask any more than that...
    I am never wrong.

Well...I thought I was wrong once...but I was mistaken.

I did the same transition a few years ago. One thing which surprised me is that you can buy electric shavers which are cordless!

I tried a Wahl and it did a real nice job for about 6 months then it needed new cutters. I checked and the cutters were $70. for a shaver that I paid $80 for. I was at the Houseware show and stopped by the Wahl booth and mentioned it to them and they said that you need to replace the cutters about every 6 months and that is the price of them. It is just like buying a cheap inkjet printer you pay more for the ink than the printer costs. I have used the Norelco shavers for 40 years and really like them

I had a Braun but changed to Panasonic several years ago. The Panasonic is much better, but of course they might have improved the Braun.

I believe that a blade will provide the closest shave, but I have used electric razors for probably 20 years for convenience. I had been using one of the least expensive Philips Norelco cordless razors, but I wasn't happy with the shave so two years ago I upgraded to their least expensive Sensotouch 2D model, but I'm really not seeing much improvement in the shave. I did replace the heads after a year and need to replace them again soon.

There are almost no electric razors with cords these days. They are pretty much all battery powered these days. Mine will go a week or more between charges with daily use. Best time of year to buy electric razors is right now during the holiday season. You'll usually find coupons for up to $30 off in various magazines and newspapers. Amazon generally applies the coupon electronically if you buy there.

I have had a Remington for about seven or eight years. Replaced the blades once. I would rate it pretty good, not perfect.

One suggestion. Costco (and probably lots of other stores) usually has shavers out for the Christmas season which include an extra set of blades. When I bought the above razor, it came with extra blades, and I have not bought any since. Getting a new one this year. No sense buying blades for it.

Rick Potter

I prefer to use a straight razor to avoid the whole ridiculous comic act that the razor market has become, but another very good option that doesn't require an investment in skills (mostly in maintaining a razor and finding the right leather for a strop, etc - shaving with the straight razor itself is no big deal) and up front money is to find a gillette super speed (double edge razor) for $15 (they're brass - if they're 60 years old, it doesn't matter, they'll never rust and they'll last you the rest of your life) and buy astra platinum blades for it. 12 cents per coated stainless blade delivered to your door. Cost ends up being about 1 to 2 cents per shave.

Blog Entries
    I am a blade guy myself. I have discovered a new brand that can only be purchased on the internet. Their blades are only about $2 each and I only change blades about every 2 months or so( I usually shave 6 days a week). They can be found at Harrys.com I also changed to a non foaming shave cream that come in a tube called Creamo Shave Cream that I get at Wal-mart. It does not foam at all yet the blade just glides over the skin allowing for a VERY close shave.
    Larry J Browning
    There are 10 kinds of people in this world; Those who understand binary and those who don't.

After trying several electrics, I have been using the Braun (higher end models Series 7 and series 9)for about 15 years now. I switched from blades not because of cost, but because my skin was always too sensitive for blades and cream. The Brauns are reliable, give a close shave and NO irritation. The mfg recommends replacing the cutting head every eighteen months at a cost of $35.00. The Braun shaver models that I use come with a "cleaning station" for lazy people like myself. When you are done shaving each day you insert the shaver into its charging stand, push a button, and while it recharges it cleans itself using an installed cartridge of scented alcohol and other stuff. A $3 cartridge lasts about six weeks and the shaver is nice and clean for use the next day...along with a fresh lemon scent. Braun and others offer a money back satisfaction policy through the manufacturer so really there is no harm in trying one of the new models.

I wish someone would invent a $3 cartridge to clean my shop!

Are we not woodworkers????

I just use one of my large chisel.....

Thanks for the link Larry, I just ordered a razor and 8 blades to try, got free shipping too.
    I am not saying go kill all the stupid people......
    I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    I prefer to use a straight razor to avoid the whole ridiculous comic act that the razor market has become, but another very good option that doesn't require an investment in skills (mostly in maintaining a razor and finding the right leather for a strop, etc - shaving with the straight razor itself is no big deal) and up front money is to find a gillette super speed (double edge razor) for $15 (they're brass - if they're 60 years old, it doesn't matter, they'll never rust and they'll last you the rest of your life) and buy astra platinum blades for it. 12 cents per coated stainless blade delivered to your door. Cost ends up being about 1 to 2 cents per shave.
    I agree with everything here except that I'd buy a blade sampler pack (six packs of 5-10 blades) to see what brand your face prefers. I like Derby Extras and Feather Yellow blades but YMMV. I also use a nice shaving soap (Mitchell's Wool Fat) which lasts a lot longer than the typical "gel in a spray can" options.

I should mention that I went to a DE razor to reduce the ingrown hairs caused by modern multi-blade razors (plus the cost!).
    Last edited by Greg Portland; 11-08-2013 at 1:37 PM.

Some real good info over at shavemyface.com. Kind of like the sawmill creek of the facial hair world. Good forum to ask questions and links to everything sold under the sun for shaving.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Portland View Post
    I agree with everything here except that I'd buy a blade sampler pack (six packs of 5-10 blades) to see what brand your face prefers. I like Derby Extras and Feather Yellow blades but YMMV. I also use a nice shaving soap (Mitchell's Wool Fat) which lasts a lot longer than the typical "gel in a spray can" options.

I should mention that I went to a DE razor to reduce the ingrown hairs caused by modern multi-blade razors (plus the cost!).
    Yeah, blade's sort of a taste thing. i use a DE when I've either had several cups of coffee before I shave (which doesn't result in anything with a straight razor, but it makes the shave unsettling), or when I can't get my razor stropped the night before everyone goes to bed.

MWF is one of the soaps that I have, it's nice. There's a lot of nice soaps, the $5 tube of "real shave co" cream at rite aid is a very expensive cream hiding in a drug store plastic bottle. It's probably my favorite, and any of the classic soaps (MWF, cella, etc).

MWF is expensive here, but there is a seller on ebay who sells it shipped here for about 12 bucks. I don't wash out my brush, and could make that MWF bar last nearly a year if I had to.

It's easy to get into the shave stuff and get excessive, but it's so much nicer to think about what you're going to shave with that day that you enjoy using vs. gnashing teeth about paying a bunch of money for a cheap little plastic razor head with a whole bunch of clogging blades.