Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glock 19

And" don't forget to watch them heavy loads
    I recall a shooter first time progressive reloader using fast powders in a .44 fired from a Smithy 29 8 3/8th stainless. She had run out of powder but kept pumping building a few squib loads until she refilled the hopper and ended up double charging (and compressing) some of the rounds.

At the range we wondered why this hand canon of a gun was just going poop poop until she stuck a double charge up behind the 3 jammed slugs.

The details of what she had done only came out at the inquest we had to attend

On a lighter note, I have some old receivers (de-milled M4's) that I may chuck in the laser to see what happens to them.

The glocks look nice though that's for sure

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Blog Entries
    Looks good, Mike... what kind of machine is that in the background. All I can read is "40W" and what looks like "Made USA".
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

Prolly Epilog's Zing

I've found that sometimes doing a high[er] speed / low[er] power pass the first pass[es] can brighten an engraving and offer more contrast. Such was certainly true on my 1911 slide.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

Bill, I've just reloaded my first five rounds and waiting to get to the range to try them out. I've read so many horror stories about kabooms that I pulled the bullets on the first five and reloaded them again. Hope to get to the range tomorrow night and try them out.
    Trotec Speedy 100 30W
    CorelDraw 2023
    EngraveLab 9
    Sublimation
    MillRight CNC Power Route Plus
    Duct Tape
    WD40

I have a related question...

I do custom 1911 grips on a CNC mill. In the past, I've done some very small amount of engraving with one of those tiny v-bits (thinkandtink), but the problem I run into is that since it's a 3 axis machine, the bit is only ever perpindicular to the work at the highest point. As long as the curve isn't too steep and I don't go too far from the peak, it's manageable. But I certainly can't use it to checker the entire grip with.

Am I going to run into a similar problem with my Epilog Legend 32? I can foresee it not being in focus anywhere except for the point on the curve where I focused the beam. How much height difference can I get away with?

Roughly 1.5mm of drop Andy with a 50mm focal length lens.

best wishes

Dave
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Stow View Post
    ...Am I going to run into a similar problem with my Epilog Legend 32? I can foresee it not being in focus anywhere except for the point on the curve where I focused the beam. How much height difference can I get away with?
    I've done several of these grips. Find the highest point & lowest point. Focus in the middle of that. A 1/8 inch variance shouldn't be a deal breaker. Note - I find it better to be too high with focus than too low, so you may find a better focus between the high & middle points. You'll have to find the sweet spot on your machine.
    Tim
    There are Big Brain people & Small Brain people. I'm one of the Big Brains - with a lot of empty space.- me
    50W Fiber - Raycus/MaxPhotonics - It's a metal eating beast!
    Epilog Fusion M2 50/30 Co2/Fiber - 2015
    Epilog Mini 24 – 35watt - 2006 (Original Tube)
    Ricoh SG3110DN
    - Liberty Laser LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Stow View Post
    I have a related question...

I do custom 1911 grips on a CNC mill. In the past, I've done some very small amount of engraving with one of those tiny v-bits (thinkandtink), but the problem I run into is that since it's a 3 axis machine, the bit is only ever perpindicular to the work at the highest point. As long as the curve isn't too steep and I don't go too far from the peak, it's manageable. But I certainly can't use it to checker the entire grip with.

Am I going to run into a similar problem with my Epilog Legend 32? I can foresee it not being in focus anywhere except for the point on the curve where I focused the beam. How much height difference can I get away with?

When I do checkering, I run the job three times at various focal planes to ensure the most even result. I agree with Tim in the fact that you will likely experiment to find your own sweet spot.
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

It looks good, but the S is backwards, the Y is upside down and the V has a little line across the middle

Quote Originally Posted by Randy Digby View Post
    Bill, I've just reloaded my first five rounds and waiting to get to the range to try them out. I've read so many horror stories about kabooms that I pulled the bullets on the first five and reloaded them again. Hope to get to the range tomorrow night and try them out.
    If your shooting a wheel gun, you can load very light..Some of the guys that shoot PPC can actually put a dent in the cardboard backer..ha.. I haven't reloaded for a while now, but I think I was using 5.5 to 7gr of bullseye or red dot in a 40sw casing w/copper plated 180 gr. load.. It was enough to cycle the 1911 para and could get at least 1000 rounds from a lb of powder..
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

hehe I turned a couple of Smith Wheel guns into "Top Break" revolvers using a light load that had flashovers (fast powder in the case laying flat that was ignited by an uncovered primer)

The scariest experience was a chap with a Calico that malfunctioned, went full auto, so he dropped it!! turned into a 9mm Catherine Wheel! there were rounds in everything except the other shooters and me

Legacy of a miss-spent youth and a distant memory these days.

cheers

Dave
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    hehe I turned a couple of Smith Wheel guns into "Top Break" revolvers using a light load that had flashovers (fast powder in the case laying flat that was ignited by an uncovered primer)

The scariest experience was a chap with a Calico that malfunctioned, went full auto, so he dropped it!! turned into a 9mm Catherine Wheel! there were rounds in everything except the other shooters and me

Legacy of a miss-spent youth and a distant memory these days.

cheers

Dave
    I thought the U.K. confiscated all the pistols? Except from the criminals of course.. Ahh wait .. you did say a distant memory.. I guess that answers my question..
    Last edited by Bill Cunningham; 11-09-2013 at 9:47 PM.
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Long time ago my friend The ban came into effect in the late 90's.

cheers

dave
    You did what !