Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shopsmith at Lowes?

+1 on what Al says. Some of us do not have the space or the resources to have the best made equipment. We have to do with what we can work with. I see a lot of talk about high end tools on here, and that's nice, but I have a lot of Ryobi, Delta Bosch, and Craftsman tools which is what has to do. Off my soapbox now. If it works! Do it!
    Former East Tenesseeian.

FWIW, I remember as a kid of about 8 or 9 (over 50 years ago), seeing a Shopsmith demo in a Sears or Monkey Wards store. The guy gave me a little cup that he turned on the lathe and I had that cup for a long time - probably still at my dad's house somewhere. That demo made a lasting impression on me, apparently.

It's a product that sells well via a demo. Seems reasonable to do demos at Lowe's as opposed to state fairs, etc.

Glenn, no one is bashing SS, Ryobi, Delta, or Bosch in this thread. Sure, I'll bash Craftsman all day long, but that is a personal battle I have with them/Sears...

The point of the thread is about SS AT Lowes. Not the validity of SS or any other all in one. No, it isn't my thing, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have its place.
    I drink, therefore I am.

I bought my shopsmith in 1959 and have used it almost daily for the drill press and once in a while I use the 12" disc sander. When I need something on the lathe it gets used also. I haven't used the saw in 30 years. The ER10 model, the first one, is a very well-built heavy duty machine, unlike many of the later models. I'd be lost without it. Best hundred bucks I ever spent for a used machine.

The mention of the value of a demo for this machine keeps popping up. And I think it really makes the point about why they are demoed. Even if a demo doesn't sell the woodworker himself, it may certainly sell the spouse of the woodworker...seeing how it takes up so little space, yet can carry the functions of so many pieces of equipment. That may also explain why there are so many that are 10 years old and have never been used...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Ya know what? A guy could make a heck of a good living 'door to door' selling those things AND vacuum cleaners! In no way am I knocking the machines,as a kid I longed to have one. My brother has some rental property and loves the one he has for keeping the places patched up. I was just pointing out that the machines are one of the best 'selling the dream' things of all time. In my mind they will always be most strongly tied to post WW2 optimism.

Shop Smith isn't the only tool that is/was sold doing store demos. The late Wally Kunkle, aka "Mr. Sawdust", got his start doing demos of the Dewalt radial arm saw following WWII and it was promoted as an 8 in one tool. I was also surprised to see Norm Abrams using a Shop Smith in one of his first New Yankee Workshop books. Just goes to show that even professional carpenters use them.

Quote Originally Posted by Roy Turbett View Post
    Shop Smith isn't the only tool that is/was sold doing store demos. The late Wally Kunkle, aka "Mr. Sawdust", got his start doing demos of the Dewalt radial arm saw following WWII and it was promoted as an 8 in one tool. I was also surprised to see Norm Abrams using a Shop Smith in one of his first New Yankee Workshop books. Just goes to show that even professional carpenters use them.
    I saw a advertisement for a SS demo at my Lowes about 4-6 yrs ago?? Would have loved to go see it.

Personally I think all tool manufacturers should put more money into the Demo realm. And a RAS demo? OMG I would be all over that one, even if it was at the local cafeteria.
    Maybe then we wouldn't have so many lethal table saws out on the lose, lol

And for the record, I like Audis but would never buy a so called Rib sandwich from McD's
    Husband to 1, father to 9
    2 girls and 7 boys (in that order)
    Life Is Full Of Blessings
    The Lord is my Rock and my Refuge.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    ShopSmith does have a faithful following. I saw a SS demo in my local Lowe's about 8 years ago. For the guy who only has the space between the front bumper and the garage wall to store his shop, they can be quite a blessing. Like a lot of all in one's (and many combos for that matter) they do not play well with what I do and how I do it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wagner View Post
    And isn't this the very reason why there are so many brands/versions to chose from. I have a Shopsmith Mark V Model 520 and it serves all of my woodworking (and then some) needs very well. What I don't do is trash talk Brand XXXX; not even if I believe Brand XXXX is worthy of trash talk. I just don't buy it. I do, however, find it very difficult to keep my opinions to myself when someone trash talks my Shopsmith and especially if there is an indication that they have never owned or used one.
    Richard, I am sorry you took my post as trash talk(?). Granted the Creek does have its fair share of trolls and malcontents but, I try diligently not to join their negative voice. I have been through a couple of Shopsmiths and mentioned their faithful following and high value (I believe I said "blessing") for some folks.

You are absolutely correct that "this the very reason why there are so many brands/versions to choose from". That is why you didn't read me saying something like "Shopsmith's are junk" or "combination machines are too finicky to setup and use". The reason I use the tools I use now is that they fit what I am now doing and how I do it. I am glad the Shopsmith suits what you are doing and how you do it.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I'll just add that I always thought a Shopsmith would be an ideal tool for the hand tool woodworker that wants the use of a power tool now and then.
    "Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Berk View Post
    I saw a advertisement for a SS demo at my Lowes about 4-6 yrs ago?? Would have loved to go see it.

Personally I think all tool manufacturers should put more money into the Demo realm. And a RAS demo? OMG I would be all over that one, even if it was at the local cafeteria.
    Maybe then we wouldn't have so many lethal table saws out on the lose, lol

And for the record, I like Audis but would never buy a so called Rib sandwich from McD's
    Agree. I don't think it would be a bad thing to see main stream higher-end tool mfg's doing demo's at the big box stores. Don't think it will happen.

About Lowes and demos, I can't think of a better place to do it. County fairs are ok, as shopping malls are ok, but at a Lowes store every customer in there is into do it yourself in one way or another. Probably better than WW shows where most attendees have basic equipment already, and where the demo space is astronomically priced. I think Lowes would do well to demo other equipment too. It probably costs them little or nothing.

Rick Potter

Rick, as this subject of Demos has been discussed more, I'm starting to understand how SS demoing at LOWES is actually a great fit. Honestly, I didn't see it that way at first, but now I do.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Berk View Post
    I like Audis but would never buy a so called Rib sandwich from McD's
    I don't like Audis, but the McRib is delicious.

You guys! I have enough power tools to do whatever I need, but Ive never seen a SS demo. Now Ive got to go find a demo just to see one in action.
    Fred