Thread: benchtop material for extra long bench

benchtop material for extra long bench

I'm building a mini-shop in my garage separate from my full sized away-from-the-house shop. I've got
    10' of 30" deep floor cabinets against one wall which will form the base of the bench top. The question is,
    what can I use for a bench top that I can get in 10' lengths and doesn't cost a fortune? If it were only
    8', I'd use multiple layers of a high quality plywood with a solid wood edge. The 10' length is a problem though.

If you live near a major city, there are plywood manufacturing companies that routinely make 10' long plywood.

If you want something more substantial, think about a salvaged bowling alley lane. But use a metal detector before cutting.
    What does it mean when you've accumulated enough tools that human life expectancy precludes you from ever getting truly good with all of them?

Jim,

As long as plywood works, you could use multiple layers and stagger the joints between layers. For example, use 5 layers of whatever thickness and make the two pieces:

Layer 1: 2' + 8'
    Layer 2: 4' + 6'
    Layer 3: 6' + 4'
    Layer 4: 8' + 2'

It would take 5 sheets of ply to give you 4 layers of thickness, but it works.

Jim in Alaska
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Depending on how you'll use the top; just get some pine 2xs ... even-them-off on the planer ... then cover with a piece of masonite.
    Top-it-off with about 4 coats of a 50/50 mix of turpentine and poly.

Can't you have some intermediate supports to the floor?

Many lumberyards stock ten-foot exterior sheathing. Think about it -- the interior height of a room is eight feet. Exteriors sheathing would want to cover the eight feet plus floor joists, ceiling rafters, and overlap on to the foundation. That gets you to needing ten-foot sheets. Okay, sheathing is usually roughsawn, so you may want to put a smoother top layer on the bench. But you can at least make the structural part ten feet long.

Consider making (2) smaller benches (2x5 or 8+2) one or both on locking casters. This will give you all the support you need and will allow some flexibility on configuring for eccentric support.

http://www.trustile.com/

http://www.vtindustries.com/doors

pretty much any real lumber yard should be able to order them
    Carpe Lignum

You may also be able to salvage the decking from a 10' or longer utility trailer.
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

There's a lumber yard in Houston that stocks maple butcher block countertops in long lengths, I think up to 12' and 36" wide. I've seen them @ 30" wide. Check your area.

Considering the thickness and durability of this top, and it's already glued up, it might be a good solution to your project.

Blog Entries
    Depending on how picky you are with your work surface, my local cabinet supplier stocks and sells retail 36" x 144" x 1-1/8" particle board (used for counter tops). Edge it with hardwood and give it a few coats of an appropriate sealer and you are good to go. That stuff is awesome, but you better have help moving it around.