Thread: Dumb thing I did today......

Dumb thing I did today......

First I think this should be a running commentary on silly things we do, so we can keep it going. A place to make fellow woodworkers chuckle a bit, and maybe not do the same thing in the future. I am on other forums like "Turbobricks" that have ever running threads, and they are fun to check in on.

I'll Start.....

Today I was setting up my Panel Router for some cabinet work and was checking my depth on a piece of scrap. It was a small piece so I had to hold it close to the center. I got it where I wanted and hit the air clamps.

Never put your thumb under an air clamp! They hold pretty good..........

Larry

Funny !! Because it wasn't my thumb. I'll bet you won't do that again. Any damage, or just to your pride?

Charley

Larry,
    What is your address? I will send OSHA over to investigate for you. That machine should have two palm buttons to activate the clamp and eliminate the possibility of that sort of thing happening. There could be other, more serious safety violations at your workplace as well.

When I loaded my machines for my recent move to NC into "Pac-rats", (like pods) I had a fork lift and two of my friends help me. My Mini Max 20" band saw would only fit thru the door if we tipped it over a bit. When I got them delivered to NC I didn't have a forklift or any friends. My wife wouldn't help me because she didn't want to witness my death. Only after some creative rigging was I able to remove it from the pod. I'll think ahead next time.
    Richard

OK, I can add one.

Never try to adjust the wood for a cut on your sliding table saw while leaning on the slider...with the motor running. If you do, be sure to allow for a lot of waste.

Rick Potter

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Barry View Post
    Larry,
    What is your address? I will send OSHA over to investigate for you. That machine should have two palm buttons to activate the clamp and eliminate the possibility of that sort of thing happening. There could be other, more serious safety violations at your workplace as well.
    I am a sole proprietor and have no employees in the shop. I am free to smash or cut off whatever I please.

Larry

You are lucky! A friend of mine was running an industrial morticer and caught his thumb under the clamp, he panicked and jerked away... He left his thumb in the machine...... They managed to re-attach it but he never did get full function and was out on comp for a long time.

Worst I ever did was stick my thumb into a running dado saw. Lucky it hit the back half of the blades and bounced up. It tore up some but no lasting damage. Made me feel pretty stupid for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Edgerton View Post
    First I think this should be a running commentary on silly things we do, so we can keep it going. A place to make fellow woodworkers chuckle a bit, and maybe not do the same thing in the future. I am on other forums like "Turbobricks" that have ever running threads, and they are fun to check in on.

I'll Start.....

Today I was setting up my Panel Router for some cabinet work and was checking my depth on a piece of scrap. It was a small piece so I had to hold it close to the center. I got it where I wanted and hit the air clamps.

Never put your thumb under an air clamp! They hold pretty good..........

Larry
    how long did it take you to do the paperwork for the EPA after your exclamation peeled the lead based paint off the walls??
    It came to pass...
    "Curiosity is the ultimate power tool." - Roy Underhill
    The road IS the destination.

I am an EPA Lead Certified contractor, so its OK!...........

It wasn't that bad, I keep the air dialed down on that machine and the clamps have rubber feet because I use a lot of prefinished plywood.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Wolf View Post
    When I loaded my machines for my recent move to NC into "Pac-rats", (like pods) I had a fork lift and two of my friends help me. My Mini Max 20" band saw would only fit thru the door if we tipped it over a bit. When I got them delivered to NC I didn't have a forklift or any friends. My wife wouldn't help me because she didn't want to witness my death. Only after some creative rigging was I able to remove it from the pod. I'll think ahead next time.
    Same thing happened to me with my Bridgewood Bandsaw and a PODS. I asked my neighbor to help me move it back out of the PODS after my shop was rebuilt. He was convinced it was too heavy and we would die... The next day I was frustrated about not getting it moved so I backed my tractor with a pallet lift up to the PODS, maneuvered and lowered the saw onto the pallet myself and successfully moved it into my shop with no help. Next time my neighbor came over he asked how I got it moved...

-Alden

Glad to hear you're OK Larry and that your sense of humour is intact.

When I worked in a factory, one of the guys put his finger under the hold down clamp on a heavy plate shear.

It squashed his finger off of his hand.............Rod.

My stupid, careless move of the week. I was changing the blades on my planer and managed to slice open the top of my middle finger on my left hand. Four hrs and five stitches later, I left the ER. I still have to get my planer back together.

Well I have not done anything that would get blood on my tools but I have been having a problem this week with the drum sander.

For some reason I am not turning on the DC before I start the sander, so far this week I have done it 2 times. Now it only takes one pass before I notice it, it fogs my little shop. Open the door, turn on the exhaust fan and leave for a few minutes.

I didn't know a 10" wide board could put out so much saw dust.

I have my fair share but it's never fun.

I made a knife block for a set of kitchen knives. I cut the slots before getting the knives. You guessed it! The slots were too narrow for the knives. Back to the drawing board.