Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Music stands We made in Wmsbg.

Yes,that would be about the only way to do it,Rolly. If the billet of mahogany was ripped,dadoed,and glued back together with the pieces in original alignment,it would have been a bit hard to see the glue line. There was a brass ring atop the column of the adjustable height ones,with a brass thumb screw throughout it to bear against the square rod and hold it together.

But then you can't blame the musicians.

And that would be a travesty.

Beautiful stands though. I definitely want one.

Manhassets just aren't very aesthetic.

Earl,what post are you referring to with your post just above? It doesn't make sense with no frame of reference.

"OK, I have to ask... if stands kept coming back every 2 weeks for broken legs my first thought would be that they were not fit for use and redesign was in order, instead of blaming the user?"

My posts take forever to show up. I think it's because I rarely post and might still be under a moderator approval probationary period due to my small post count. No idea.

Not surprised by the musicians enlisting unsuspecting children for set up/tear down. Some symphonies are terrible about that.

Which is kind of funny, considering they probably spent their entire pre-professional life having to do it themselves.

edit: I could just be being careless about quotes and switching pages considering I'm bored&distracted at work while wistfully daydreaming of how much fun it was to play chamber music last night as well. That's probably most likely.

do you have any other pictures of those stands?

Last edited by Earl Sullivan; 11-29-2013 at 2:10 PM.

No other pictures. Yes,the legs were not suitable for careless handling,but we had to make them exactly authentic. Like I said,from the generally light lines I have seen on some 18th.C. furniture(NOT that blocky Rhode Island Townsend stuff!!),people knew how to take care of their things back then. Some of the cubby holes in desks are quite thin. Besides,everything was exceedingly expensive when it was hand made. You'd be paying someone's wages for the several months that it took to make some things.

I blame the careless users. For example,it took us many months to make a violin. One time,those careless idiots let a high school girl Christmas hire take a violin not 2 weeks old,and CRACK the top from screwing on a chin rest too tight. And,this should not have been permitted for her to use in the first place. Plus,they didn't use chin rests in the 18th. C..

There was a brick patio behind the Music Teacher's Shop. They gave little concerts nearly every day. I SAW them lay my instruments on the wet,steaming bricks after a rain. To lazy to bring out a chair to lay them on. I SAW the assistant music teacher put a small harpsichord WE didn't make,into the back of a station wagon. Then,he couldn't quite get the rear door to close. He SLAMMED it repeatedly until it finally snapped shut. I reported this. You think anything was done about it? NO.

So,don't blame the equipment,guys. You weren't there to see this behavior.
    Last edited by george wilson; 11-29-2013 at 3:09 PM.

I know a guy who has a couple of period stands and has used them on gigs for his baroque group when they perform in costume. The girl cello player broke one of them. But I think most of them were made to sit in one spot in a fine home and be used by the family.

Music stand breakage; makes me wonder how they kept an instrument in usable shape

Thank you for putting up this post.
    I happened on the interview of you that was done here some time ago while looking for other photos of your work to show Queenmasteroftheuniverseandbabybunnytrainer, (my significant other (that is not her name but what I called her in another forum; long story)).
    Aaaaannnnnnyyyway . . .

I remember reading there about these music stands. Great to see them. The tilt adjust is reminiscent of the Jefferson lap desk he designed and had built.

As far as the broken legs and music stand damage . . .
    . . . perhaps you should have suggested keeping traditional practices alive by reintroducing caning and flogging into the community there. I imagine music stand breakage would have all but disappeared.

PS: did you see my question in the grinder wobbly wheel thread asking you what you thought of the machining on the guy's grinder shaft ?
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Some people are just more special than others.

not fit for use and redesign was in order, instead of blaming the user?
    Some times I work with people who use very high end bicycles, (think $3000, $5000 etc., etc., etc.) and some not so high end, and there are some who don't get it that some things are not bomb proof and are delicate in some ways for the really good stuff and so one must respect that and learn the correct and careful way to handle such.

For the few "Special people" I have always wanted to have a few of these around with bicycle wheels painted on the side just for the "Special people" to use.

Might do a similar thing and paint a music stand on the side for the "Special" musicians.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Music stand hollow post...

George,

Those are beautiful stands and I may try my hand at a similar design.

For those enquiring about height adjustment options and column hollowing and so on, you can see what I did on a recent music stand I made in this post

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ood&highlight=

The column starts out as a solid blank... Is ripped and jointed carefully in prep for gluing.
    The post and hollowed section are hexagonal, to prevent any rotation of the post.
    The hollow is achieved with a dado set on the table saw, first at 90 degrees, then tipped to 60... With the stock flipped end for end after one pass. The post is shaped using the dado set while it is at the 60 degree setting. The column is hollow except for the bottom 12" or so, as the legs are dovetailed into the column, so you don't want that area hollowed out.
    After hollowing the column it is the reglued, and the post is used as a bit of a squeegee to make sure no glue squeeze out ends up in the hollowed area.
    A short section stock is also made into a hex shape with a wider rim... This is used to plug the hollow when mounting on the lathe for turning.
    Turn the column to the desired shape, dovetail the legs, and so on. If you are concerned about strength you can add a metal spider to the bottom of the column, but if receiving reasonable care in use this shouldn't be needed.

Any more questions, feel free to ask...there may also be a few more pics on my website...address is shown in my profile.

Roger

Winton,I think necking down the grind shaft is a bad idea on several counts. Especially if the flimsy flanges are so thin they fall into the neck!!

Why they are doing that? Most likely an easy way to avoid any corner with a radius. When they face off the register of the shaft,they let the tool go a bit farther into the shaft. But,there is not communication between whoever is responsible for making the tin can lid flanges. Else,they just don't care. The only solution for now is to buy thicker flanges.

If you can't buy thicker flanges,I'd suggest carefully cleaning the necked down place with acetone,and filling the groove with J.B. Weld. It is really great stuff,and adheres to steel ,CLEAN STEEL!! Really well. It is also very hard. And,it will stand 600º,which is fantastic. We use it to fill any little holes in our jewelry models,so they don't get caught in the rubber mold when it is made. The rubber mold is vulcanized at something like 450º. We needed something with real high heat resistance to use.

It the grinder over heats,the J.B. will be more than adequate. Make sure the J.B. is CAREFULLY filed flush with the shaft,or the flange will still not run true. I still suggest buying decent flanges anyway.

Necking down the shaft means that the shaft is no stronger than the diameter of the neck. All around,a very bad idea.
    Last edited by george wilson; 11-30-2013 at 11:21 AM.

Roger, thank you for your input. I will be able to use your method. Question, did you make a hexagon instead of a square for a classier design? Or was there mechanical reasons?

He used a hexagonal design to go with the shape of his outer post. You'd best make yours square,Rolly. The originals were square in our style of music stand.