Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: where to buy crushed turquoise

Turquoise Crusher

I use a 3/4 inch black pipe about 6 inches long with a cap screwed onto one end. Put in the turquoise nuggets and use a 1/2 inch bar to hammer/crush the turquoise in the bottom. Sift through a screen to get the size you want and re-crush the larger pieces.

This works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Abate View Post

Robert I see that you ordered from them a few days ago. Interesting since i'm not able to access the ebay store or their web page. please advise how you ordered and if you ordered by phone?
    Ben, a few days ago? It's a 5 year old thread! Craft Supplies carries it. Rather expensive at $10.75/Oz. Seems to be the going rate though.

uh guys.....go to wally world....in stationary....buy mixed colored caulk, take home,, take your pocket knife, make shavings, thinnner the better, pound with hammer, fill crack add ca glue, turn to finnish

i believe i learned that here ....old thread

look up great southwest minerals,Byron

Go towww.greatsouth.net 1-800-822-933 Byron

John,
    Look at my reply and go to www.greatsouth.net 1-888-933-gems

I bought a few turquoise necklaces at Michael's when they were marked at 50% off. Some of them have about a dozen large rough beads. I forget the price, but they ended up being about $3-4 each. They are stabilized, so they are quite hard and it took some pounding to crush them. I use them to fill in the worm holes in some small oak bowls.

Steve

John,
    Have you looked at the InLace Granules? It's what I use and it looks great.

Jim

Palm Bay Florida, Warner Robins Georgia, and Nigeria, Africa
    You can buy direct from overseas..... MUCH cheaper than here in the USA, and probably where most American dealers are buying from and then reselling at very very high profit!
    Like $40.13 for 500 grams (17+ oz) with free shipping via UPS

Alibaba is a very well known site for sourcing overseas products. Here's a link to their site and additional links to some of their referenced suppliers... (Mostly from China)
    http://www.alibaba.com/showroom/crushed-turquoise.html

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Turqu...812389115.html

Cheers,

Frank
    Choosing Windows 7/8 over Apple OSX and IOS is sort of like choosing Harbor Freight tools over Festool!

“They come from the desert, but it is we who have our heads in the sand.”
    Ben Weingarten

Forget the web. Try the telephone - 480-963-6552. Just talked with Fred at this number. Still in business. All turquoise - natural and man made - packed in 4 oz bags. Grades offered = powder, small sand, large sand and extra large sand. Man made = $15.00/bag. Natural = $30.00/bag. - John

I've tried several crushers and they all worked but slowly. Buy a yardsale blender or Wal nut store cheapie and shake it while "blending". Don't use your bride's blender --ever. Buy several strainers also.

One of the members of our woodturners club told me the way he crushes his turquoise is to buy a cheap electric coffee bean grinder (the kind with the pulse switch) and just put some chunks in there and turn it on. crush to the consistency you want it, then run it through the micro strainer.

i use the same approach but with a slightly larger pipe. i also use a coffee grinder. in all cases i strain out the sizes into small, medium large and powder.

Does the blender work on stabilized turquoise? Or just the soft natural stuff?

Steve

Uh---I am not knowing.