Thread: Jamieson type hollowing tool

Jamieson type hollowing tool

What do you use on the 3/4" steel stock to keep it from rusting? I have already sanded all the rust and ready to coat with
    something that won't cause a drag while useing the tool. Byron

I used Brichwood Casey cold blue solution. You can get it at sporting goods stores of gun stores.

bluing solution won't prevent rust, it is in fact a chemical rusting action. You need to put on a penetrating type oil or 3-in-1 oil and wipe down.

I agree, blueing will not absolutely prevent rust. It is however a good inhibitor. I always wipe my blued tools down with a light coating of oil after I have used them. Use my home-made Jamieson weekly for the past 6years. No rust.

I use Boeing T9 I think it's called. Boeing formulated it for rust protection but it is also a good lube. You can get it at most big box hardware stores.
    Do or do not, there is no try.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Nagle View Post
    I use Boeing T9 I think it's called. Boeing formulated it for rust protection but it is also a good lube. You can get it at most big box hardware stores.
    What Dennis said. I also use T9 on my lathe-ways, table-saw, band-saw, drill-press and any other bare metal surfaces, works great.

"The best things in life are not things."

Just use it more. I have no trouble with mine rusting, but I guess I'm not so particular if it did get a little rust on it. I keep the contact surfaces cleaned and waxed, but after that? How about chrome plating? That would really bling it for you! But seriously, a powder coating place shouldn't charge too much.