Thread: My First NE Bowl

My First NE Bowl

My first natural edge bowl. Sorry for the shallow focus. My 14 mo boy wanted to touch everything while I was trying to shoot the photos. 3 year seasoned ash blank. Bees wax finish.

10-1/4"x8-3/4"x4-1/2"

James
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by James White; 12-17-2013 at 10:17 PM.

Hi jim, here's a photo of the bowl I did, the person that gave it to me told me it was Sasafras. Are you sure yours is Ash?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by joe marra View Post
    Hi jim, here's a photo of the bowl I did, the person that gave it to me told me it was Sasafras. Are you sure yours is Ash?
    Hi Joe,

Yes I am sure. I have lots of ash around here. I have never seen sassafras though. Do you have any more with more bark on it?

Yes, I'll take a photo tomorrow and post it. Sure looks similar.

Such a fine quality work. The simplicity of your natural edge bowl makes it very pleasing. Awesome!

looks good, be carefully of selling one with the bark on the edge......when they tire of it, .......

I love it! Well done. Did you have any trouble with the bark tearing out?

James - that's a beauty! Great job on form and keeping the bark on it!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kirkpatrick View Post
    I love it! Well done. Did you have any trouble with the bark tearing out?
    Thank you for the comments.

Yes I did have some trouble with the bark. The worst part was all of the dust from the dry bark. I had no idea till after the entire shop had a thin coat of dust all over. I lost some bark almost immediately. But then did pretty good after that. I then lost some while sanding and finishing. I wanted to do a bees wax finish. But did not realize that that was not practical for NE since you can not spin the piece to generate heat. Lesson learned the hard way i suppose.

James

I have turned both ash and sassafras. It looks like ash to me. My sassafras was more greenish and overly aromatic. There is no mistaking the aroma factor. I have one piece of sassafras left and I had to promise my family I would turn it when they were gone for a weekend.

I really love how tight and even the growth rings are in your bowl.

Good job for a first NE that's for sure, I can see why Joe thinks it could be Sassafras, I have turned both, and yes the can look very similar, but they don't smell alike, Sassafras is very aromatic, I do like the smell, they don't turn alike either, Sassafras is softer than Ash, Ash bark is harder and more brittle, at least when green/wet, HTH
    Have fun and take care