Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: couple questions re: new workshop

couple questions re: new workshop

we池e building a new shop and have a few questions and figure this is the best place to get some great insight. brief background. 24x30 pole structure with insulated concrete slab. exterior will be vinyl siding over OSB. inside, we値l run 2x4s between the posts and use that to hang drywall. we池e in lower-mid Michigan so we値l insulate the walls (and ceiling) to the greatest extent possible.

1. sidewall height. I figured 9ft sidewalls would be sufficient, but our builder (also a woodworker) is adamant that I should get 10ft sidewalls. while making the building a little shorter would shave a small amount off the cost, my bigger concerns are (1) how much more will it cost to heat a taller building and (2) will I need more/stronger lighting (because the lights will be that much further from my workspace). are my concerns legit and/or outweighed by the benefits of having 10 foot sidewalls? thoughts?

2. heat. considered radiant heat in the concrete slab, but the cost (cost to run water to the shop as well as the cost of the radiant heat set up) just outweighed the benefit for us. when I知 not working in there, I only need to keep the shop at around 45 degrees or so...and only around 60 degrees when I知 in there working. at this point, am planning on getting a Reznor (propane fueled) unit heater that draws the combustion air from outside and also power vents the exhaust outside. any concerns about this type of heater? what size heater would you get for a 720 sq ft shop (I was thinking a 45,000 BTU unit would be more than enough)?

BTW, the DC (3hp cyclone, vented outside, and in a separate room/enclosure) and the heater will be at opposite ends of one of the 30 foot walls.

3. speaking of dust collection...anybody locate their DC outside? I値l have a small overhang on one side of the shop (under which I値l store rough lumber). I could put it under that and build a little room around it for weather protection. I知 not sure I like the idea of putting it outside, but the space and especially the noise reduction inside the shop would be nice. thoughts?

thanks for any thoughts, suggestions, or insight.

I have in my house, 2700 sqft, runs on a EMB-S-9 mini boiler 30,000 btu http://www.electromn.com/gen/emb.htm
    radiant heat works good good with high ceiling since you re only keepin things warm near the floor,
    once the water is in the pipes/system you dont need to fill it up afterwards
    okay you may have to add a little to keep your 10-15psi in the beginning of the heating season (this year I did not have too)
    I would go 10-12 foot ceilings once you start hanging lights and duct-work you start losing height clearance

Go with at least 10 foot ceilings. I am converting a pole barn in the sprig and my ceilings will be 12 foot. I plan on having my DC outside of the shop with only the filter in the shop-no heat loss.
    "So much wood - So little time ! "
    Past President Western Mountain Woodturners
    Past President Maine Woodturners

Blog Entries
    Tall is good, but I would be happy to swap 9 foot ceilings for my 7'-8" ones. I feel 9' is plenty if you recess your lights and stick your ductwork in the attic. Now if you insist on flipping a 12' board floor to ceiling, then you need to consider something taller.
    Last edited by Ole Anderson; 12-26-2013 at 5:37 PM.

Put the DC and the air compressor outside. I recommend the 10' ceilings. Consider skylights too. I love mine.
    Sorry my message is so long, I didn't have time to write a short one.

I did the cyclone on the outside wall, and built around it. 45000 will be plenty. If they make a 35000 it would be big enough, just takes longer to heat up. My building I stood studs up inside the nailers on the side, and put dow board in between the nailers, and batts between the studs. I'd rather have metal siding than vinyl.

I would go with the 10 foot ceiling. My previous shop had 10 foot ceilings and it was adequate. I would still occasionally hit a light with a board. I just built a new shop with 12 foot ceilings and I have installed radiant heat in the floor. My previous shop had propane heating and it was ok, but the previous shop the concrete was not insulated. Insulating the concrete there is a noticeable difference. I can compare because I am still building the house and do not yet have the radiant heat running. Not sure why you chose 2 X4 vs. 2 X 6 for the walls. With 2 X 6 you can install R19 in the walls and the 2 X 6 will match the post ( assuming you are using 6 X 6 post ). If you are going to use drywall, think of where you might hang things such as cabinets, shelves, etc and put blocking in between the studs. I an blocking my house using the cut offs from the framing. For the shop I just went with OSB for the walls.

Bill

Can you even buy a 9' stud? I'm going with 12' sidewalls.

Todd

Russ,
    Last year we built a new barn and I put my workshop there. The workshop is 20 x 24 with 10'5" ceilings. The slab is not insulated but hard troweled concrete with an epoxy finish. The walls are framed within the posts (pole barn) with 2 x 6. The walls and ceiling are insulated with sprayed closed cell urethane foam to about R20 (about 3 inches). I have a 40,000 BTU electric fan heater with an after market digital thermostat. Even in our coldest months (it was -19 F a few weeks ago) the heating bill for the entire barn (including a similarly insulated tack room) is always less than $80 per month. On the walls I sheathed with 1/2 inch AC plywood that was finished with sprayed catalyzed lacquer. Lessons learned:
    1) The ceiling height is the lowest I would make. While increased volume does marginally increase heating cost, insulation and vapor barrier (if you don't spray foam) are much more important. In a relatively small shop, the increased ceiling height makes for less claustrophobia and more wall space to hang cabinets, supplies, etc.
    2) The electric heat costs may be more expensive in other parts of the country but the installation is quite cheap. Overall I spent with the thermostat less than $400. It takes a lot of added efficiency to make the ROI better for this approach.
    3) Plywood on the walls is nice because you can hang almost anything anywhere (and I have).
    4) Lighting is critical. I did the ceiling with white painted dry wall and have 48" T5HO enclosed (dust and moisture proof) fixtures. Measured the intensity at 100+ fc at bench height. At my age this makes a huge difference.
    5) All machine tools (or anything else that rests on the floor) are on casters. It's amazing how much of a difference this makes to how much space you don't need.
    6) Look critically at what you keep in your heated shop space. Anything that can be frozen if it gets cold but kept dry elsewhere (and you don't use every day like bulk wood storage) is not worth wasting shop space.
    7) Less workshop size is not always a disadvantage. It forces you to keep your shop neater and cleaner and makes the footsteps from one workstation to another easier and quicker. I came from over 2000 sq ft and do not regret the downsizing. I had to sell some machines in favor of combo models but I got better quality in the exchange.
    All of the above is based on a one-man hobby/retirement shop and may not be true for everyone everywhere.
    Hope this helps.
    Good luck with your build!
    Ed

Ed,

i also have several machines on casters which i keep "in a corner" out of the way when not in use (basically everything but the TS). how difficult (or not) is it to roll your machines across concrete? also, how hard is a concrete floor on your back? my current shop has an industrial tile floor which i really like. i'm still debating whether to put a floor in the new space or just stick with the insulated slab and epoxy it. thanks

Russ,
    The concrete insulation is something we decided against given that overall this is a barn building and the slab is surrounded on three sides by even more concrete. The shop slab seems to stay about 50 degrees year round which actually helps during the summer as I didn't do A/C. The dogs come into the shop to get cool when it's 90 degrees outside. It is essential that you hard trowel (very smooth) the concrete to get the right finish for heavy machines on casters. My vertical mill is, with its stand, over 1100 lbs and it rolls with very little effort. As far as my back is concerned, at machines where I stand, I made sure to raise their working height (I'm 6'1") and place comfort mats in front of each. At cleaning time the mats go outside and the whole shop is easy to sweep/vacuum. BTW, I bought a central vac unit on eBay and piped the entire shop (use the "correct" central vac PVC pipe and fittings, not schedule 40) and the barn overall. The power unit is in the barn central aisle and you can't even hear it in the shop. (I spent less for this in total than I did for a Festool vac several years ago.) What shoes people wear in shops is highly overlooked. With a concrete floor wear comfortable shoes with a significant sole that accommodates standing, i.e. not flip flops or cheap tennis shoes. This will help your back immensely and if the floor gets a little cold, you won't notice. Furthermore, when you drop something on your foot, you have a fighting chance to avoid injury.
    Just my $0.02.
    Ed

Go with 2x6 as it will allow greater insulating efficiency. Energy costs are not going to get any cheaper and you live in an area with cold winters. My shed (30x36') has 2x6 with the max amount of insulation possible. Very comfortable in the Winter and WA does not get as cold as MI. The maximum amount of insulation is the cheapest route over the long haul. Shop heat is a propane Hot Dawg and it works vey well. Thermostat is set a50 degrees in the winter. Going on its 12 year of service w/o problems.

Outside venting of dust: in winter, you'll loose warm air. My Oneida cyclone has a filter and returns heated air to the shop. Cyclone is very efficient and filter traps what little dust is not caught by the cyclone.

Ten foot walls are probably the minimum for ease of moving materials. My shop has 10' dry wall pained white ceiling, with4 bulb t-8 fixtures. Walls painted white and shop is bright.

Install electrical outlets and switches 52" above floor so sheet goods will not block access.

My former residence and shop had skylights. While the allowed light in, they were a heat sink and a ceiling leak waiting to happen. Speaking of light, install windows high up on walls to permit more usable space below and to keep out a miscreant's eyes. Well insulated windows and doors are cheaper in the long run.

If your residence has an alarm system, tie the shop in. As police friend once told me others: "tools like firearms, once stolen and you'll never see them again."
    Last edited by Ray Newman; 12-28-2013 at 3:28 PM.

10' is a minimum if you deal with any thing 8' long. I've a workshop with 12' and that's great. I also have one with sloping 10' down to about 8.5'. It's a little low.
    Setting up a workshop, from standing tree to bookshelves

I recently bought a dustek whispurr series dust collector and we installed it outside. Absolutely loved it being outside in the summer but in the winter, it sucks the heat right out of the building.

I built a new shop 3 years ago.I do have 10' tall walls with scissors trusses, celling is 12.5' in middle of shop.I would go 10' or more for walls.
    You don't need to have water in your shop for radiant heating.You have to fill it with antifreeze (it is blue color).I did all by myself,it is easy.
    Jaromir