Thread: Rolled natural edge bowls

Rolled natural edge bowls

Haven't posted in a while, but I have been turning. (way too cold to go outside!) Here are five natural edge bowls that I have rolled the edge on. I like turning functional bowls ,but love natural edge bowls. These are an attempt to bridge the two . I was only able to save the bark on one as these were harvested in the summer and the bark was loose.
    Thanks for looking,
    Tom

DSCN0787.JPGDSCN0789.JPG

I don't ever recall anyone rolling the edge of a NE bowl..I think it looks great.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Very cool idea! Looks like they all have a nice finish in addition to the cool factor.

That is a great idea. Very smart looking and a great bridge between bowl types. Could you tell us your process? I'd like to try it.
    Do or do not, there is no try.

Those are awesome! Nice work!

Closest I ever came to anything like that was a walnut burl that had bark inclusions. But yours are much better - not to mention functional as more than just a fruit bowl.

Something new under the sun. Very nice.
    "Never try to teach a pig to sing. It wastes your time and annoys the pig." Robert Heinlein

"[H]e had at home a lathe, and amused himself by turning napkin rings, with which he filled up his house, with the jealousy of an artist and the egotism of a bourgeois."
    Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary

That is great idea. I never liked the look of the non-natural edge side of my bowls that were cut into blanks like these. This is a great solution. Thanks for posting

Thanks everyone for your comments.

Dennis- the process is straight forward. I rough between centers with the bark at the head-stock end. I turn a tenon by the tail-stock and rough a bowl shape . After the bowl has a nice curve, I take down the bottom 3/4 of the bowl following the curve until I'm happy with the wing size. I then take down the bark side until satisfied with the width of the wing. I usually undercut the wings at this point and then reverse and core the bowl. I'm still using cedarcide turners choice on my rough-outs to stabilize and reduce warping and checking but any drying protocol would work. After it dries finish turn and sand and finish.
    The hardest part is the hand sanding required- especially under the wings.
    Good luck-watch your fingers,
    Tom

Really nice work. That is and interesting twist on rim treatment.

I like that a lot. Great work.

Wow! Very interesting project! Beautiful bowls. The natural edges are plain amazing. Great wood and finish.