Thread: Any suggestions?

Any suggestions?

Ok so I've made it to the end of a "rustic sideboard" and the LOML decided she didn't like the rustic look. I've managed to give it a "cleaner" appearance but now the hard part. Originally I was just going to use GF JAVA but on a test piece she said it didn't have enough of red to match other pieces that it will be close too.
    So off to the local GF store to get some help and came home with GF Mahogany and spiced walnut to mix about 4:1
    Not dark enough for her still. After 4 coats yes...maybe but I know she didn't really like it. I've mixed different ratios and now I'm at a completely lost on what to do. I think She wants the dark look without the grain

Option 1: I went to another store today and looked at samples of the Old master rich mahogany GS and think it's pretty close plus it will cover the grain. Didn't buy because I'm in stain for about $50 already and I'd really only like to purchase one more to make this work.
    Option 2: GF Empire red dye followed by Java

any suggestions on how to get somewhat close to this finish with box store "white wood" and 2x4 pine. If I would have know it was going to be more of a "showpiece" I would have bought different wood to start with.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Greg Berry313; 01-13-2014 at 9:18 PM.

Here's a picture of the sideboard. Everything is prepped and read now, drawers done etc
    image.jpg

How about priming and a dark reddish enamel paint to start. A couple of coats of primer is a great way to eliminate unwanted rustic elements. Then you could finish off with the gel stain mix as a glaze. When dry use your favorite topcoat.

Hmm, interesting. I had thought about painting it the other night but not the glaze over top. Even thought about painting the bottom section a black and just doing the top the color she wants. Running out of scraps and may have to buy more wood just to test on lol

At this point I think she might be okay with some of the rustic element, she just wants the dark brownish/red color. Thanks Steve for the suggestion!

Transtint dyes as either an add to your base stain or a toner coat?

So, made the decision to go with flat or satin black paint on the bottom with a stained top as close as possible. Much relief since most of this is sub-par wood to work with and I really was dreading getting it to look somewhat decent. Thanks to those who had the suggestions and the next project (media console) I might be entering the world of dyes!

Finally had time over this weekend to knock this project out. Thanks again to those who had suggestions!
    photo (1).jpg