Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are Your Holiday Decorations Down and Stored

Are Your Holiday Decorations Down and Stored

Time to confess; only today did I get down and store all the holiday decorations and lights. Has anyone else procrastinated this long?

We finally got the tree down and everything put away on Sunday.

Everything but the net lights on the bushes. They are there for the duration with so much snow cover.

Blog Entries
    I took down the last of the outside lights yesterday.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

tree and christmas stuf down, however, my wife keeps up some "winter" garlands up until spring.
    Vortex! What Vortex?

It was so cold here I never did put up outdoor lights, but I helped my wife pack up all the iside stuff. Almost every room is decorated in soem fasion. I excel at packing, so I got everything into 14 monstrous totes, freeing up 2! But hthe tree and decorations are still up. I ordered a tree bag from Lee Valley ands it jsut arrived. Noe I do not have to cram an 8 foot tree back into its box (which apparently was designed for a 6 foot tree). Also, that box is darn near impossible to get into out basement crawl space. All the boxes are now on a workbench in the garage, awaiting a springtime move into storage in the garage attic. I need to deck the attic so I can walk around up there. I put in a pull-down ladder and installed lighting up there about a year ago. I vowed that I would not kill myself any longer dragging Christmas stuff in and out of the crawl space.

Hopefully we will not be decoration next year by taking boxes from the garage workbench back into the house...

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Reep View Post
    I vowed that I would not kill myself any longer dragging Christmas stuff in and out of the crawl space.
    Ditto that. Our crawl space is nearly a full basement but has a couple of I-Beams at forehead height and an ABS pipe one must avoid. The crawl space door is in the floor of closet and has a steep ladder with very a small opening. it is very un-user friendly. Going down there is a task I despise.

As we were going to be gone for Christmas, our decorating was scaled back considerably this year. Those things we brought up were packed in flip-top plastic bins and went into the garage on the top shelf of a pallet rack, labeled and ready to move to our new house under construction which maybe completed in May if things go in our favor and there are no serious delays.

The new house has a basement, ending the despised trips in and out of a crawl-space. Still we have lots of boxes Christmas stuff down there which will be brought up, thinned by half and donated to Good Will as we prepare to move. Those things we are keeping will repacked, labeled and off to the garage, staged for moving.

The shop's one decoration,a wreath,made it from hanging on outside of door to...............hanging just inside on a '47 Pexto shear.So technically,"they" are down.

We have all of the Christmas decorations down, the Three Kings are all put away, but we have a tree and wreath decorated in Mardi Gras colors that went up on Epiphany and will stay up until Mardi Gras.
    My friend Fred taught me that relationships are like fine tool makers, what you pay is but a small part, what matters most is the time, passion, and care that was spent and the joy that you have.

Yes as of the first day my wife had off after Christmas.

I told my wife that if we ever win the lottery, the tree will be on a giant lazy susan in the corner of the room. When Christmas is over, we'll unplug the tree, hit a button, the wall will turn 90 degrees and the Christmas tree will be out of site until next year. Then next year, hit the button, the corner turns back around and we'll have a fully decorated tree ready to go.

Since I live alone, I never put up any decorations. I did bring my girlfriends tree up from the garage and helped her set it up. We putit in the recycle bin after Christmas.

Blog Entries
    image.jpgThe tree is put away. Boy, what a task that was. All kidding aside- this has been our tree for the last four years. Next year our daughter will be 1 1/2 so we will probably put up a "real" tree, but the Charlie Brown tree will always be somewhere- perhaps the shop.

For only the 3rd time in 45 years of marriage, we didn't put any up in our home. We were given airplane tickets for an early Christmas gift and flew to Norfolk for the holidays. We did help the grandkids (twin 3 year olds and 17 month old) put up the Christmas tree and decorations there. They were still up when we returned home last week.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Still up and still will be up for about another week. Can't take them down until the priest comes and blesses our house for the new year.