Thread: Source for J-Poly-V/micro-V Step Pulleys/Sheaves

Source for J-Poly-V/micro-V Step Pulleys/Sheaves

Does anyone know of a US source (not necessarily made in the US) for these pulleys/sheaves like those used on PM3520s/Jet1642, Grizzly G0733, etc EVS lathes with multiple speed ranges? I've got an older lathe that I'd like to upgrade with a new set of pulleys. The standard v-belts are of such hit and miss quality that I'd like to go with the micro-V/J-Poly-V belt and pulley system.

Thanks in advance,
    Dick

Don't know about the pulleys, but you might want to consider keeping the traditional sheaves and running a link belt: http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...at=1,240,41067 I used one of these belts to power a jackshaft on my old lathe, and it worked very well.

If you're set on micro-V, just start calling up the local industrial bearing suppliers.

I'd go along with Geoff's suggestion for an industrial bearing/belts & drives/power transmission company. If you're able to take the belt to the store, I'll bet you can either get one or be told "no, we don't have that but Joe down the street most likely does or can get it.

(Dennis) I've had no luck with McMaster's...they have standard v-belts (A/B or 3L/4L) configurations only. Their step pulleys are the poor quality (cast zinc) rather than the cast iron like the Maskas from Electric Motor Site.

(Geoffand Curt) Link belts don't run anywhere near as smoothly as micro-v belts, especially around small diameters. I have checked the websites for roughly 20 transmission component companies using a variety of search terms with no luck (many have single step poly-V pulleys but no mulit-step units). There are also single step pulleys for things like automobile drive pulleys but no multi-step versions that I have found. Am I wrong to assume that they'd probably advertise it on their site if they made/sold such a thing? Maybe I just need to get on the phone and start calling...

I also contacted Brian at Versamil but he doesn't make this type of pulley.

Am I using the wrong search terms?

Here are some pics of some custom pulleys like those I am trying to find...http://www.angelfire.com/sc3/shapeah...olyVdrive.html

Thanks in advance,
    Dick

I should have read your first post more closely. I made my own from Aluminum when I built my lathe (it was rather time consuming with my equipment).

Dick if you know the size you want, like from a lathe, you could order replacement pulleys.

I got a link here to Poly-V sheaves that are on Ebay in England, just have a look, good sheaves are not cheap though, HTH.

www.ebay.co.uk:.webloc

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEW-5-STEP...21059752480%26
    Have fun and take care

Leo,
    I saw those but never order anything from outside the US for scam and shipping costs reasons. Those pulleys are almost exactly what I'm trying to find from a US source. $100 a pair would be fine but the manufacturers like PM want $275 per pair (PM3520) which I find extremely high.

Dennis,
    I appreciate you trying to get me going in the right direction. I've got a friend with a machine shop that could make them for me but for just a few it isn't worth his time trying to figure out how to make them properly with correct lead in angles based on the various diameters of the steps. I definitely appreciate how much work it is to make standard pulleys.

If I can't find a source, I'll have to just go with the cast iron Maska step pulleys and use regular v-belts but would prefer to not go that direction if I have an alternative.

Thanks again for your help!
    Last edited by Dick Strauss; 01-30-2014 at 10:51 AM.

Dick, as you note, the Grizzly G0733 pulleys use that design. If the bores and keyway slots will match what you need, you can order the pair for about $40. http://www.grizzly.com/products/g0733/parts

A tech in Springfield might be willing to mike the bores in their warehouse for you, if they don't have the specs at hand. I have a spare spindle pulley, so could give you a rough measurement on that one with digital calipers.

David
    Last edited by David C. Roseman; 02-01-2014 at 11:23 AM.

Thanks David! Boy you are fast...Grizzly just posted those on Feb 1st. Unfortunately I need pulleys with at least 3 steps.

I wonder if the ones the 3-6 step pulleys for the jet/delta/grizzly mini lathes would be able to handle 3hp? I suspect that a belt only 4 ribs wide might be pushing my luck.

I have a Jet 1220 and can say for sure those pulleys / belts will NOT handle 3 hp.