Thread: Forthcoming chipbreaker article

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Metod Alif View Post
    From Fine Woodworking #1, p.22 (Fall 1975):
    "The chip breaker should be set back 1/64 to 1/16 inch from the cutting edge of the iron. The closer setting would be used for the very fine shavings on finish work and for hard-to-plane woods. Setting the chip breaker back 1/32 to 1/16 inch would be for rough work and large shavings. The combined effect of the narrow opening in the plane bottom and the close setting of the chip breaker causes the shaving to make such a sharp bend that it has no chance of propagating a tear-out ahead of the iron, and leaving a rough surface. � "

This information was not new even then. Also, the K-K video contains no info about the effect of the mouth opening. It only confirms some of the old knowledge. Maybe now we can have videos for many other facts of woodworking and then again argue who saw them first.
    PWW could acknowledge the article from FWW and other printed sources as well.
    I do appreciate the efforts and congratulate for being published.
    Best wishes,
    Metod

Huh? So you had this figured out in 1975? Kees didn't help contribute to your understanding of this when you posted the below thread on June 13th, 2012.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ers-and-angles

Perhaps it wasn't your intent to give a back handed congrats by poopooing the efforts prior to complementing them, but that sure is how it came across.

Of course, its not new. And while I don't disagree that a reference to old texts could be a valuable addition, I don't think its a requirement either. Can you imagine if that was done for every dovetail or sharpening article that was ever written?

By the way, as old as this knowledge is, its worth noting that both George Wilson and David Charlesworth (who I think we can all agree have a wealth of knowledge and experience) stated that they didn't start using this technique until the KK video resurfaced and Dave, Kees, and others starting talking about it... and while I do believe it likely that there were/are lots of accomplished woodworkers, who have no presence on forums or media, doing this all along, I also think its pretty clear a lot of woodworkers (novice and master) had written the technique off.

I for one am very glad to see that this getting published and believe it will help enlighten many woodworkers about how to use the chipbreaker to its full effect.
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 01-30-2014 at 9:06 AM.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...