Thread: Kudos to Forrest Mfg

Kudos to Forrest Mfg

I got my WWII blade back repaired and sharpened ten days from the day I mailed it to them. Besides sharpening, I had 5 chipped teeth to repair.

How many times can you sharpen a circular saw blade?
    Dennis

Dont know Dennis, but I damaged mine about as badly and had the same good experience as you did. They werent cheap. But man that repaired and resharpened blade cuts good.
    fred

I've got a Woodworker II I need to send in to get sharpened. How do you guys package them so the UPS monkeys don't destroy them?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Brad Adams View Post
    I've got a Woodworker II I need to send in to get sharpened. How do you guys package them so the UPS monkeys don't destroy them?
    I usually use a piece of Masonite with a flat head bolt and washer to hold the blade. Ina flat cardboard box with crumpled newspaper if you need to fill some space.
    You could also use the square plastic blade storage boxes sold by Rocler and Woodcraft inside a heavy cardboard.
    Last edited by Bill ThompsonNM; 02-09-2014 at 1:20 AM.

I send it back in the package it came in. It's about 1 1/2" thick and double lined with cardboard around the edges. The other one was beat up and the outside was covered with multiple mailing labels. They sent it back in a new box this time.
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by Bill ThompsonNM View Post
    I usually use a piece of Masonite with a flat head bolt and washer to hold the blade. Ina flat cardboard Bo's with crumpled newspaper if you need to fill some space.
    I did the same. It was interesting that they sent it back to me bolted to the same piece I sent them. Mustve figured if I cared enough to ship it to them that way, theyd respect my wishes and return it just as carefully packed. Class act those Forrest guys!

I bought a WoodWorker II this year, and will definitely use Forrest when it needs sharpening. I own other well respected brands but the Forrest blades really are worth the premium price. My contractor-style saw always felt underpowered to me, but now it really cuts so much better with the WoodWorker II.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis McDonaugh View Post
    How many times can you sharpen a circular saw blade?
    How long is a string?

Not trying to be a wise guy - it depends on how often you sharpen them and how bad the condition is when you send them in. At some point, the teeth have been ground down to the point where you need to retip.

I have a full stock of Forrest blades.........2 x WWII, plus 30t, 24t... I will guess that over 13+ years, my WWII, in rotation, have each been sharpened a dozen times. Still good. Obviously, I am not cutting a thou BF a day.............

My personal experience with Forrest is that, when they get the blade[s], they inspect them, and they will call you if there is something that requires attention / discussion.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.