Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dust collection for apartment neander

I live in an apartment and do my work out on a balcony and I went with the Fein Turbo 2. I think it is 9 or 12 gallons, i cant remember. I don't think you will find too many substantial improvements over the model you have other than capacity (I think the turbo 1 is smaller????). I doubt you would see too many improvements by going with festool. Both brands are well thought of from what I can tell. At $300, Id say use the cost difference to add a cyclone and maybe a better filter and/or bags. Ohh and dustpan and a nice trashcan for the bigger chunks.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    Thanks for all the input!

I have a fein turbo I (with auto start and variable power) at my remote "power tool workshop." I'm putting together a dust deputy for it and adding a clean stream filter. Maybe I'll use that...any improvements with the new models?

I just didn't want to mention anything to bias the crowd. I'm not sure how the new festool compares, but the fein was quieter back in 2011.

As for my floor area--purple marble tile with some acrylic rugs over it.
    I was almost tempted to rig up something with a dyson vac!

As for hammering, most of mine is done with a Glenn drake titehammer #4 mallet. It was a gift from my sister.
    Persian area rug maybe? It will compliment the marble floor in your workshop nicely :P

Fein is fine.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Matt,

Now reading that you have the Fein Turbo I my recommendation doesn't really apply but I've been setting on the fence (waiting for taxes to be known) between a Festool and Fein as I move to replace the first of two screaming banshees (aka Craftsman Shopvacs). For around my bench, where I expect plane curls I've decided to go with the Fein Turbo 3 because of its 2-1/4" hose. I have a really nice 1-1/2" hose on another vac and it sometimes has trouble with the curls. I'mm hoping the larger hose will work better.

I know, I could continue with the oversized dust pan like I do now. <g>
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Blog Entries
    Jim, if it's any help I have a festool vac and it's super quiet.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Lau View Post
    Note: I'm also going to get a dustpan...
    That's a good idea. You'll find out that a dust deputy doesn't do anything for plane shavings. it just gives them a place to go through as they go into it and straight into your vacuum.

It works much better with power planer chips and sanding dust, but plane shavings will all end up in the vac. It'll drive you nuts - it drives me nuts. I have basically bypassed mine for power planer chips, too - I just plug one of the holes on it with card stock and run my input tube right into the trash can mine is mounted on.

FWIW i couldnīt be happier with my Festool CTL vac. very quiet, enough power for my needs and easy to maneuver and tuck away when not in use. light too!

oh, another handy gimmick IMHO is the Mirka abranet sanding block. attached to the vac it significantly decreases the ammount of dust that goes into the air.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Shea View Post
    A broom and dust pan.
    Thats the proper neander way to do it

Tony,

DARN IT, you beat me to the dust pan and a broom recommendation.
    Never clogs and is quiet.

fein turbo II
    I have two of those.
    The old one is really quiet.
    The newer one, that has the motor speed control, isn't exactly loud but it sounds pissed off like it is going to bite me.
    Ha, ha, ha
    no really the newer ones, mine is about three or four years old now, kind of grumble, grumble, grumble.
    The wheels more to the side where the port is helps it not tip forward though, that is especially nice over the older one.
    The older one I pretty much leave hooked to my bandsaw and or to clean up the shop and it stays in the shop.
    The newer one I keep very clean and it travels around the living space for various cleaning and I have the optional power brush head to use on the carpets.
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 02-11-2014 at 1:15 AM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

I didn't choose the marble--tacky to my tastes.

Regarding the fein vacs--the head is all the same IMHO. Currently, I have a 2 1/4" shopvac hose on it.
    My chief gripe is that the handle hurts to hold, it's cumbersome to transport (along with hose, attachments etc).

It's a great vac, but I'm tempted to buy another for apartment use. The other vac will have to be no louder than the fein.

I'm seriously tempted by the makita/nilfisk vac. 59 db + smaller footprint!

Or, I can be sensible, save my money, and invest it...sigh.

I said my second newer Fein grumbles.
    I just used it on the highest speed setting and it pretty much sounds like the quiet older one.
    It only grumbles when you turn the speed / suction force down; handy for vaccing off a floor mat; on the highest setting it just lifts the mat off the floor and tries to eat it. Ha, ha, ha.
    I didn't mean to say I don't like my new Fein, I do, it is just that when it is turned down it sounds like something going some place to happen as my Mom would say.
    But
    Better is Better.

investing? NAH buy new toys, and then tell us how much fun it is to play with them

Most of my new toys are non-gloat worthy: old Japanese planes and chisels from eBay that need restoring.

The nice thing about being Neander is that stuff tends to not depreciate as much as the electronic stuff that I have but don't use. Heck, sometimes it even appreciates if the Schwartz speaketh!

I may just get another Fein (unless the new festool ct is more silent). It's around the same price as a Dyson, and my Fein has held up quite well...

decided to go with the Fein Turbo 3 because of its 2-1/4" hose
    You probably know this and as some one said all the heads are the same, but you can buy the 2-1/4" hose and put it on the Turbo I or the Turbo II. That is what I have on my bandsaw.

PS: and you get the experience of laughing out loud ( and then crying) when you hear how much they want for the hose (the same experience can be had for all the accessories).

For instance if you want a second wand , that's just the metal tube the hose and floor tool mount on right ? Well that will be at least $20 PLUS $20 (because you need two to make up one wand and they are sold separately) PLUS about $25 for the bent plastic handle. Now I'm not smart enough to add those up but I do know it winds up being on the wrong side of toooo much !

Yah . . . I bought 'em.

PPS: You know . . . now that I think about it I think the Turbo III has a higher flow or power rating. But I couldn't confirm that.
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 02-14-2014 at 2:02 AM.
    But
    Better is Better.

I have the Ridgid 14 gal professional wet/dry vac. At the time I purchased it 18 months ago it was the quietest they offered and was $99. I believe they had one that was quieter for 4 times the money. It is surprisingly quite in my basement shop. Half my basement is an apartment and it does not bother the tenant when I use it. It is currently not attached to anything and I just use it to pick up chips. The benefit I find over a dustpan/broom is I have allot of clutter due to lack of space and this gets the chips in and around things much easier than the broom ....