Thread: Another Stupid Question

Another Stupid Question

I have a Unisaw and i'm having a real hard time getting the dado blades off the arbor ......has anyone else had this problem?? I know its probably me...I've only had this saw a short time...so I'm most likley doing something wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Lenox
    I have a Unisaw and i'm having a real hard time getting the dado blades off the arbor ......has anyone else had this problem?? I know its probably me...I've only had this saw a short time...so I'm most likley doing something wrong.
    Nuh, it aint you..............I have that problem too

I just wiggle them til they come loose but I'm sure there is a better way. I have never really worried about it coz when I'm done with the blades, they go back in the case and each time I use them (not that often), I think to myself, I must ask if this is normal, but I never ask......hehehe

Mine are the same way. I have to remove them one at time, which I think is alright. I'm sure the machine tolerances have to be fairly tight, or you would get all kinds of vibration issues. Just a hunch tho'

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Lenox
    No, Joe, it's not you. It's pretty much a standard sort of thing with all saws. It's because the arbor and the bore of the dado blades/chippers are both very nearly the same size. This has to be, else there's be a lot of slop in your cuts and vibration in your saw.

Another contributer to making them harder to remove is the generally smaller diameter of the dado sets, so it seems (at least to me) to be a bit more finicky about being aligned to the arbor when you're removing it. Easier to 'wiggle' the 10" blade than the 6 or 8" chippers. (does that make any sense...)