Thread: Festool Domino for knock down furniture

Festool Domino for knock down furniture

Wondering if anybody has experience using the domino to assemble large furniture like an armoire that's meant to be easily knocked down for easy transport. Any ideas or techniques would be appreciated.
    Thanks
    No project too small or too expensive.

Look at the Lamello Clamex system.

If you already have the Domino you may be able to use it to cut mortises for Mod-eez fittings, which are pretty cool.

Thank you. The Mod-eez fittings are pretty slick. Already have the Domino so I'd like to make that work.

Russ - I have not used mine for projects of the scale you mentioned but I have done a number of smaller things and it has worked out well. One was a pasta drying rack - I just glued the domino's into one surface, rounded the edges of the other end to make assembly easier and it has been used for years. for the scale I have used them the friction fit of the domino's was more than enough to keep them together - I think the challenge for the larger scale you intend is to design things so the gravity + domino's keeps thing together - maybe with just a few strategic screws to make sure things stay together - you can still take it apart but it would take a screwdriver to do it

I would not use dominos this way. Erik in the post above get to the root of the problem for large pieces - "I think the challenge for the larger scale you intend is to design things so the gravity + domino's keeps thing together - maybe with just a few strategic screws to make sure things stay together - you can still take it apart but it would take a screwdriver to do it". The dominos will align OK but not keep a big piece from racking unless you add screws somewhere. Do the google for RTA hardware or knock down furniture hardware. This wheel has already been invented without the need to buy another tool - though the Lamello Clamex are very cool.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Thank you guys, appreciate the help. The domino sounds like the wrong way to go for pure knock down. I took a look see at the Lamello system, very impressive, but way over my budget for a few pieces of furniture. I'll pursue the alternative KD hardware for its ease of use and simplicity.