Thread: How to Clean a Gas Fireplace, Glass Front?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Nothing to contribute as it seems you have tired about everything imaginable. I would think some of the things you have tired could actually etch the glass and aggravate cleaning the soot off. Smooth glass I know can be a pain ( I have one like your I think - and burn wood in it) to clean. It would make seems that anything that would slightly etch the glass surface would give the baked on soot something to grip to and become especially hard to remove.
    Universal Laser ILS 12.150D (48"x24") 135 watts total, with 60 watt and 75 watt laser cartridges. Class 4 Module (pass thru ability). Photograv 3.0, Corel X6, Adobe Design Standard CS4 Suite, Engrave Lab laser Version 8, Melco Single Head Comercial Embroidery Machine, The Magic Touch System with Oki C711WT printer, and Graphtec CE6000-60 plotter.

Two things I didn't see listed you might try: Mineral spirits and naptha. Although they may be part of your 'petroleum distillate' aresnel...

Another product I didn't see listed: oven cleaner.

Could well be that the heat has fused the combustion products to the glass, in which case, new glass is about the only answer...
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Normally I wouldn't fret over it as I am now. If it is reasonably clean at the end of each heating it's good enough as the fire box behind it is flat black. Now it's one of those details that help spiff up the house, showing better.

As far as products etching the glass, I've always removed the glass, working on the main problem on the fire side, working on it at ambient house temperatures, always fully washed it with Dawn dish soap, after trying any other cleaning product and fully rinsed and dried the glass when done. I've made every reasonable attempt to remove any residue. If there were any etching going, it is for maybe 10-30 minutes while a product was allowed to soak - work on removing the soot.
    I've not noticed any etching or pitting of the glass, but in daylight at the correct viewing angle I can definitely see a layer of soot, as well as feel it where it transitions between areas that have successfully been cleaned and the problem areas needing work.

It is very possible that the heat has fused the combustion by-products to the glass. It's stubborn enough that the concept seems reasonable.

I'll try one of the recommended special purpose products designed for the task. Hopefully it will solve the problem.

If it doesn't, my options are call it good enough or price a replacement. I have no idea but suspect a replacement might be expensive and not be worth it in returns; spending more than I would gain.

Thanks for all of your input so far; even those things that apply to wood-burners or off-topic; it may help someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lassiter View Post
    Nothing to contribute as it seems you have tired about everything imaginable. I would think some of the things you have tired could actually etch the glass and aggravate cleaning the soot off. Smooth glass I know can be a pain ( I have one like your I think - and burn wood in it) to clean. It would make seems that anything that would slightly etch the glass surface would give the baked on soot something to grip to and become especially hard to remove.
    I don't know what you have but if you burn wood, yours is not the same. Mine is a Heat & Glo, natural gas fired.
    Years ago in a previous house I had an Earth Stove (brand), a wood burner. That had a fire brick liner and much thicker steel.
    The tin box around this gas fire place is maybe as thick as a tin can. Trying to burn wood in it would be a disaster and winner of the Darwin Award for the decade

Understood about etching the glass. I think it is more of a matter of baked-on build up. Last time I cleaned it, I made substantial progress but not perfection before I called it good enough because the progress made came with a lot of time and effort. It sounds like the Creekers' suggested a variety of purpose formulated products that work, plus a few alternatives that may work too.

My wood burning stove cautions not to clean the glass; normal operation will keep it clean. And it does.

I guess I would ask the manufacturer.