Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Why use a folding ruler?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    one thing I did see was How handy they were for vertical measurements (like measuring ceiling height) since they don't buckle like a tape measure.
    I use a folding stick rule in combination with a 4' level to measure things that are too big for the 6' capacity of the stick rule. Good for 10' and no worries about the tape buckling.
    Paul

Blog Entries
    I use both. I use my folding ruler for shop work and a tape measure for rough work or framing.

I like the slide out extension on my folding ruler for inside measurements and checking the depth of a dado.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

I have love them since my grandpa showed me how to use on sixty years ago.
    I'm a Creeker, yes I m.
    I fries my bacon in a wooden pan.

I've never owned one, I use steel rulers or a tape measure.

Sometimes I just tranfer measurements using a sliding gauge or marking gauge..........Rod.

Yeah,Rod. I don't understand the appeal of folding rules. Made a catastrafic mistake in my youth by failing to unfold a couple sections. That makes stuff too short. To this day if only a folding rule is handy, I study it for a minute to make sure it is not camouflaging a folded a section or two.

This is my go to folder. Starrett #471. http://www.amazon.com/Starrett-471-C...t+folding+rule

When I bought mine in the late 70s I think I paid 35 dollars for it (about a days pay for me at the time). At the time I was working in a steel mill in the blacksmith shop and later as a boilermaker and plate layout man. They are very handy for that type of work, but I still carry it in my back pocket for wood work. I do have a 6 foot folding Lufkin with an extension that I use for remodel work.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I can bend my own hook but, http://lixertools.com/
    Cool but pricey at $46 for the cheapest one. I picked up one of those BMI folding rules at Best Made last night and it was about the same price ($48 including tax). No calibration necessary.

If you travel light [horseback or on foot ] then a folding rule MAKE SENSE

I just received a new Lufkin wood folder yesterday from Amazon that will replace the 25 year old Lufkin. The first thing I do when I enter my shop is to put my pencil behind my ear, and my folding rule in my back pocket.

Ok. So Im getting the sense that this is more a matter of personal preference than a clear cut "its better for these specific reasons" thing. Which is perfectly fine. I have a number of tools like that. Thanks guys!
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I can bend my own hook but, http://lixertools.com/
    I'm more a tape measure/steel rule type of guy, but I guess I could see where they'd be handy for inside measurements.

Those Lixer tools are cool -- I want one! They'd be great for synchronizing all the tape measures that I have lying around. I think that the steel ones would be much more accurate than the wooden ones, but holy sticker shock -- $290!!?? I think that I've got a new project for my milling machine. I wouldn't have to match all the fancy angles on it. For the purposes of a tape measure checker, all I'd need is a $15 piece of stainless bar stock and 3 passes with a 3/16" or so end mill. Done.

12. I second the Germans love of them watched a guy building a shed and another house over six weeks, every tradesman used one

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W Smith View Post
    They still work very nicely in sheet metal world,....."
    I worked in construction sheet metal work in Wisconsin and all the guys used folding rules. When I asked why not a tape measure, they told me folding rules are a bit slower to use. (A good thing for them I guess) I moved to California and the sheet metal workers there never used folding rules. Put mine away and never looked back.
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 03-18-2015 at 7:23 PM.
    No PHD, but I have a DD 214

When I worked as an electrician for 30 yrs. we all used folding rules because they don't conduct electricity. Alot safer than than a tape measure.
    Curt

This is not true. While wood does not conduct electricity very well, it most certainly will. I am probably being way to overly cautious by the way.
    Last edited by keith micinski; 03-08-2014 at 3:14 PM.