Thread: Table Saw Extension Wing Modifications

Table Saw Extension Wing Modifications

I want to modify my cast aluminum table saw extensions to eliminate the black marks they make on stock when cross cutting. A picture is attached of what they look like. Here are some measurements of some of the key items...

The recessed areas are 2 7/8" wide and 1/8" deep.

The raised areas are 7/16" wide

I want to glue some laminate to the top to accomplish what getting the smooth top and eliminate the black marking. Here are the questions...

What adhesive will bond the laminate to the aluminum successfully?

Will the laminate be strong enough where the aluminum is recessed or would I need add a 1/8" layer of BB ply between the laminate and the cast aluminum top, if so what adhesive would successfully bond the ply to the aluminum?

P1020831.jpg

I could take the extensions to a machine shop and have them milled to flat as an option instead of adding the ply substrate but I am trying to keep the $$'s down.

I have made a laminated extension but it will not support itself without legs and because of mobility of the saw (saw is moved occasionally) I prefer to stay away from legs on the extension. The cast aluminum is self supporting.

Thanks for the input.

George

Some years ago a friend put Formica on his extension tables. He filled the holes with plywood and Bondo to make the top smooth with the top of the ribs and then just bonded the Formica to it. I believe that he used contact cement for the whole job. It required elongation of the mounting holes to lower the extensions level with the table saw, but the project was a success. I think he later did the top of his saw too. I moved away, so I have no idea if he still uses that saw. You could also look into having the extensions heavily Anodized to stop this streaking. The Sommerfeld router tables are heavily Anodized and they don't leave marks on the wood.

Charley

!/8" thick strips of BB or Masonite or most any other solid material in the recesses cut to fit and put down with contact cement should do it. Sand the recesses enough to break the glaze on the paint. Will you be able to lower the wings enough to get the laminate even with the saw top? Cheap and quick fix that would need re-done from time to time would be spray with clear lacquer, dry, wax. Not the best option.
    Dick
    Last edited by Dick Brown; 03-12-2014 at 12:32 PM.

Just a thought - could you buy a used contractor's saw for $50 off craigslist and repurpose the cast wings?

Why not see what it would cost to have them anodized or powder coated.

Could you just run some cellophane tape along the raised areas to isolate the aluminum? Or if that would wear away too quickly maybe teflon tape would work.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Philippi View Post
    Could you just run some cellophane tape along the raised areas to isolate the aluminum? Or if that would wear away too quickly maybe teflon tape would work.
    i like the Teflon tape idea. Cheap and effective and can be redone many times quickly so you spend time working wood not tools.

Teflon tape is way too soft and fragile for this. HDPE tape like used on drawers would last, but would likely be too thick to use without lowering the wings. All of the old contractors saws that I've seen have stamped sheet metal wings and not cast iron.

Charley

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Andrew View Post
    Just a thought - could you buy a used contractor's saw for $50 off craigslist and repurpose the cast wings?
    Thanks for this idea. Ive recently bought a pair of magnetic feather boards. I like them a lot. But they dont work well on the ribbed steel extention on my ts left side. Was condering having a replacement wing made after I saw Keith Outten selling a pair that he'd had made. Ill bet I can find a beat up delta ts on CL and get a good wing outta that!

Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

George,
    You should be able to just put a coat of moisture curing urethane on the Aluminum.
    That's the tougher than iron clear coating they use on the floors @ the borg.

Next time you go to Lowes, check out the finish on the floor.

Back when I sold that kind of stuff for Glidden, we had to mark off an area in the store I worked at's wharehouse with a band of Safety Orange epoxy.
    The floor was coated with an aliphatic moisture cure and we were going to use a two part epoxy in orange.
    We worked on the moisture cure with a sheet sander $ some 220 grit wet/dry for an eternity trying to "scuff up" the surface so the epoxy could get a good bite.

The only problem might be finding it in a small quantity.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Years ago when I bought my 10" Delta Contractor's saw, it came with waffled, aluminum extention wings, left and right. Stuff kept falling through the holes, so I put plastic laminate on it with contact cement. Stayed on there until I sold the saw.
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."