Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WoodCraft Closing

Ask how much the rent is first! That big foot print doesn't come cheap. I imagine there is additional insurance cost with the classes as well.

If I remember correctly the rent was around 10K for the store south of Pittsburgh, PA. and that was over 10 years ago. I just couldn't imagine covering that cost up front every month.
    Chuck

When all else fails increase hammer size!
    "You can know what other people know. You can do what other people can do."-Dave Gingery

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Rozmiarek View Post
    I've never understood how the Woodcraft business model could work well. It's surprising that any of them can compete with the internet stores IMHO. I've never been in one though, so maybe I'm missing something.
    Our local Woodcraft seems to do pretty well, but has been under new ownership for about a year. They do a lot to keep customers coming in. The emails from them are always announcing some special or game to give freebies or special discounts. A number of months ago (a nice fall day where you could actually wear a short sleeve shirt, kind of hard to imagine right now ...) they grilled burgers and dogs and had yet another sale going on. They also at least doubled the wood selection they carry compared to previous owner. And I say owner, because it was advertised as a franchise up for sale. Rockler's have store managers and are controlled by corporate HQ. I like both stores but the Woodcraft feels more like a family business. I do try to give them as much business as I can, but certainly order from the internet. I bought my lathe, bandsaw, and cyclone dust collector at this Woodcraft. (And all were bought on sale.).

New here, been over at Lumberjocks, but recent changes to that site got me looking. Our Woodcraft closed here in the Chattanooga area about a year and a half ago. I managed to get a huge load of wood out of it when the pricing went to 50-70% off, and a couple of great router bits I would have never been able to afford. Still, now I have to travel down to North Atlanta to get exotics, although Chattanooga Hardwoods still carries a decent load of domestics.
    As far as finishes, I mostly went to Amazon. I use a lot of Tru-Oil and spray lacquer.
    Most innovative place on the planet - American garages. See my innovations at Tsunami Guitars on the web.

Woodcraft in Libertyville IL just closed too. There are franchise fees involved that have to be paid to Woodcraft and you can only sell what you buy from WC headquarters. In other words you can't add your own inventory, or buy it at a better price. In addition, 5% of your sales goes back to WC. You also MUST advertise at least 5% of your sales, and there are a few other charges as well.

Take into consideration that WC also sell on line, through catalog and also on Amazon. Yes, the headquarters sells on AMazon. If you buy there, the item will be shipped from the WC distribution center.

So in effect, the local Woodcraft store is competing with on line retailers, and Woodcraft corporate.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    Was it the store in Franklin that closed? I was just there a couple of weeks ago.
    I'm pretty sure the Franklin store is still open. I receive a sales notice from them every couple of weeks. Store is about 40 miles from me but I haven't been in around a year. Hope it stays, good ownership.

I was online today looking at reviews on a drill press. After I settled on certain one, I checked to see if Woodcraft carried it. I was on their main site and clicked on store locations, because I was too lazy to look up the store closest to me. Then I saw in Illinois they only had one store. I remember when they had three just in my area and more around the state.

When I got there, I met another new employee. New to the store but not to Woodcraft. She had worked at a store that just closed. I just pray they don't close this last store.

The drill press I bought was going on sale at the end of the month - 15% off. They gave me the discount. You can't get that online.

Boy you guys are bringing back memories I spent 6 months in the Johnson City Red Roof inn doing Revco remodels back in 92 did the one in Kingsport, Erwin, Elizbethton, Bristol and some other towns I ended up doing 14 stores down there that year. Met a lot of nice people also.

Just be glad you had it as long as you did. I can't get something in a pinch at our local Woodcraft because they are OOS of so many things, and calling them is like calling the IRS.
    Enjoy the going out of business sale.

The Woodcraft in Dublin California closed earlier this year. I didn't go there much because it was about 30 minutes and there is a Rocklers near where I live. I did buy stuff from them, including a Nova lathe and a Rikon bandsaw. The folks there were always very friendly and helpful. While I didn't visit the store often, I was sorry to see the place close.

In the foothills of the NM Sandia Mountains
    We had one that opened up around 2006, it lasted about 5 years. I hated to see it go.
    Please help support the Creek.

"The older I get, the better I used to be."
    Lee Trevino

doing Revco remodels back in 92
    Wow.
    There's a blast from the past.
    @ one time, I repaired all the receipt printers from Revco.
    The company I worked for had the sales/repair contract for all the stores.
    They used to drop off those little printers by the truck load.

Our Rockler closed years ago.
    Our Woodcraft was still open last time I checked ( a few months ago).
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Our woodcraft closed years ago. No warning, no fanfare, just closed and we got a letter. Not too long after, maybe a year or two, we got more letters asking if we'd like to start up a franchise.

Rockler is just up the street from me and though they don't have tons of stuff I'd want at prices I'd want to get it, they run the store like a swiss watch and everyone is helpful.

In my opinion, the franchise stores and corporate would be better off separate. The lumber in the woodcraft store was minimal, it washorribly priced and most of the other stuff in the store was at the top end of what you'd find for prices anywhere. It just didn't even make sense driving the 25 minutes it took me to get there, only to come away empty handed.

I just don't think the franchise model makes for a store that's worth visiting on a regular basis, and the prices drive people to shop elsewhere - it's a tough model. I personally wish the stuff that woodcraft has exclusively in the US that's made in the first world would be released to be sold by other retailers, because there are a few things they have that I really like (especially pfeil carving chisels), I just can't find a reason to buy them from them because they are so expensive that it's cheaper to go to a canadian retailer and get them shipped here with international postage added. That just makes absolutely no sense to me.

It's perceived as rude to knock local stores on price, and I don't expect they will match online stuff to the penny, but they have to be somewhere reasonable (price vs. online) for me to support them. The franchise model just doesn't make it very easy to even be reasonable on price. That said, I've always gotten great service from WC corporate, the whole setup (corporate-franchise and the prices needed to support the setup) just makes it not the place you go for anything once you don't need something real bad.

Wow, I had no idea WC was doing so bad. I worked for them in their Bensalem, Pa. store which went out of business years ago. A franchise opened much closer to me and the guys seems to be doing okay though I haven't really checked. As an employee of theirs we got the impression they were the typical corporate minded retail guys who probably had no idea what they were selling. Typically if they had a tool that they could have copied in Asia they would sell the Asian tool because it yielded a higher profit margin. Understandable but when you are a good woodworker and like good tools it is sad to see the better tools pushed aside. The other impression I got was that the store needed to be in a fairly good neighborhood, economics wise. They needed higher dollar people shopping in their stores for their profit expectations to be met, which is why Bensalem failed.