Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Recommended Height for Table Saw?

I always thought my Hitachi hybrid TS was a little too high for me (I'm 5'9"), but couldn't adjust the height as the saw's design wouldn't allow it. Last weekend when my new Grizzly 0690 arrived, I got it all set up and was pleased to find that it was about 2" lower than the Hitachi. That doesn't sound like a lot but what a difference it's made. The Griz is at 35 1/2" on its Shopfox mobile base (or about 1" below my belt buckle). I happily disassembled and lowered my outfeed table to match.

For me, being slighly "above" the work surface give me more of a sense of control.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cruz View Post
    Yeah, that's a tricky one. Yes, I am using a mobile base. I am PLANNING on just putting some 2 1/4 inch wood under the saw (resting inside the mobile base frame) and sitting the saw on that. I don't like the idea of the saw just "resting" on top of the wood, though. Unfortunately, since the saw is pretty much the same size as the inset for the mobile base, I haven't come up with a clever "lip" to "hold" the saw in. Once I come up with it (or get a GREAT suggestion from a fellow Creeker) I then plan to get 2 guys over... 2 to lift the TS, and 1 to slide the wood lifter kit underneath. Of course, whatever I do under the saw, I also have to do under the extension legs...make that 3 guys over... I have beer, I can find 'em...

How about you? Come up with any clever ideas?
    Mike, here's my current thought. I have to make sure the overhang on the top plywood layer doesn't interfere with lowering and raising the wheels on the base.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Near Sandusky,Ohio.....Cedar Point ....Roller Coster Capitol Of The World
    Thirty seven inches..................exactly...............

Don't ask why, just make it that height.........you will thank me

JEFF

I like the idea. I had one similar. The major challenge I have is that I like the height of the saw. I need to raise it 2" to be at the right height for my benches. Unfortunately, the metal mobile base sides are 2" deep. So, as soon as I get it high enough, it no longer sits in the mobile base frame. I could easily put a 3/4" sheet of ply over the top of the mobile base (with 2" strips underneath to rest on the corner pieces that the saw normally sits on), but then I am now raising it 2 3/4". But I like the height it is at now, and am hesitant to raise it close to 3". Thanks for the idea, though...
    I drink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Miller View Post
    Thirty seven inches..................exactly...............
    Don't ask why, just make it that height.........you will thank me
    JEFF

The smiley's lead me to think you're not serious with that recommendation. I hope not.

Until everyone has the same height at the shoulder and the same arm length, there will not be a single work surface height that is right for everyone.
    Tom Veatch
    Wichita, KS
    USA

I have a feeling I know why, but I'll keep it to myself.
    I drink, therefore I am.

Hi Bill,

Could you upload more details of your handmade tablesaw? It's pretty nice and I'm 5' 8 1/2" also ! I hope to build a tablesaw like yours someday.

Best Regards

Mario

8. I read that & went WHAT ?/? below for sure
    I've jacked up everything machineish in my shop as I got a back that will do everything BUT a slight lean over so my MiniMax MM20 & FS41 are up another 7 to 9" over stock height. My soon to be got SS will also get jacked as well
    I had to quit working on hotrods for the same reason
    Mike >............................................/ Maybe I'm doing this Babysitting Gig to throw off the Authorities \................................................<

I am 6' these days, and my saw is set at 37 1/2", which is 3 1/2 inches higher than it normally sits.

Rick P