Thread: Focal Lens distance - tool for setting distance

Exclamation Focal Lens distance - tool for setting distance

Hi all

Can anyone tell me what focus lens distance needs to be when engraving using an X1390 100watt Redsail Laser Engraver. The machine came with a small plastic tool used to adjust the distance between the bottom of laser head and material but unfortunately it's been misplaced. I need to know the size so I can make a new one. We're engraving trafolyte material (plastic).

Many thanks,
    Corina

Hi Corina,

If you place a piece of wood/acrylic/anodised Aluminium (anodised alu is possibly best) at a slightly ramped angle, i.e. a bit of wood underneath one end to give a gentle angle, then run a straight vector line with you laser across it from lower to higher side you will be able to see at which point the laser has focussed best (thinnest line) and measure the distance from that point to a suitable place on your lens carriage. You can then cut a new focus stick to this length. Hope that makes sense?
    Kind Regards, John
    60w EFI 6090 & 100w Z4 Reci 6090 G Weike Lasers, 4 X 4 CNC Router
    CLTT using Oki C822dn & Adkins Press
    Glass Sandblasting, Woodwork Shop, etc...
    V Carve Pro v8 & Photo V Carve, Lasercut 5.3, Corel Draw 2017 on Windows 7 and iMac (via Parallels), etc

Thanks John. I'll try that. Regards, Corina

My Redsail X700 50W laser is set to 14mm. from the laser to the workpiece so it might be the same.
    I would just email them and ask, they good to deal with generally.
    Redsail X700 Laser, Creation P-Cut Vinyl Cutter, CNC Mill