Thread: Paint/primer compatibility

Paint/primer compatibility

I'm building a new display booth for the mesquite show (which is next weekend, BTW). I've spent the last three and a half hours putting KILZ on the pine beadboard walls...and discovered when I went to clean the brush that I'd gotten oil based by mistake. Someone pleeeze tell me I can put plain old latex wall paint over this...

KC

Sure KC! (Is that what you wanted to hear?)

mmmmmmmm did what??

I wonder if that kid, Todd, knows what he's talkin' about? I guess he does. KC, next time, if there ever is, use an oil base underbody for the primer. Kilz is not a good primer, really. It has it's purpose, but is dries too fast and brush strokes don't level out like they should. Otherwise, carry on.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

KC, I think you would have been better off using white pigmented shellac. It seals any knots in the pine, dires fast (alcohol based) and is compatable with anything.

Yes, you can use latex over an oil-based primer such as kilz. This used to be a no-no but things have changed.

The oil-based kilz is not a bad product. It does not work as well as the shellac based product for sealing stains and knots but it is a better all around primer.

Good Luck!

Bin

Quote Originally Posted by Cecil Arnold
    KC, I think you would have been better off using white pigmented shellac. It seals any knots in the pine, dires fast (alcohol based) and is compatable with anything.
    Cecil, I agree that pigmented shellac, I use Bin, is probally the best all around undercoat there is, as long as it is sprayed. As a sealer on knots, it can be brushed in small areas, but to coat out something of size would be difficult with a brush. It will rope and reveal overlapping brush strokes. It is a great product.
    Phil in Big D
    The only difference between a taxidermist and the taxman, is that the taxidermist leaves the skin. Mark Twain

Hey Phil, I may be young (well, compared to you!!), and might have been born at night, but it wasn't last night!

I personally like Kilz as a primer. It is high solids, dries fast, and sands well with 150 grit Norton 3X, making for a nice undercoat for any topcoat.

Todd

Thanks for the replies. I only used the primer to begin with because it's cheaper than paint...and I'm trying to get by with a half gallon of color left over from something else.

Kids......

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Burch
    Hey Phil, I may be young (well, compared to you!!), and might have been born at night, but it wasn't last night!

I personally like Kilz as a primer. It is high solids, dries fast, and sands well with 150 grit Norton 3X, making for a nice undercoat for any topcoat.

Todd
    I'm only talking brushing and not spraying. Don't tell me you'll Kilz a 10', eight shelf bookcase with a brush?

I seriously doubt I'll be at the Q this year, either. It's that golf tournament that conflicts my interests. Some day Steve will kick it back a week, huh?
    Phil in Big D

Darn it, KC! Now you've gone and brought up a topic that has forced me to agree with Phil. I like BIN shellac as a primer, too, when I need to seal something up. If there is no danger of bleed-through, then I actually like a cheap flat latex paint as a primer for the build and sandability (applied with an airless sprayer, of course ).
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Jason, I would have never expected to read, in the same sentence, both words: "latex" and "sandability". Please explain.

Todd

This aint Jason....

Jason, I would have never expected to read, in the same sentence, both words: "latex" and "sandability". Please explain.

Todd
    If I may, latex flat white is a fine sealer and very sandable. Here is what I do on MDF letters I produce. I use a stiff brush, called a Fitch brush, and I hand edge the letters with latex flat. Then I sand it with 220 paper and paint them again, by hand. Then I sand them again. Next, to the spray room. I'll spray then edge with my HVLP and Bin shellac. Lightly sand and then two finish coats of usually lacquer that matches some predetermined color. The face is laminate which, of course, I also paint. The letters are museum quality. This is why I am a multi-millionare and attend golf tournaments instead of BBQ woodworking gatherings
    Phil in Big D

Todd
    Along with what Phil said, Todd, note that I said, "cheap, flat latex paint." Cheap flat latex paint has a very high content of flattening agent (usually talc), which reduces its sheen and durability, but makes it cheaper to produce and easy to touch-up. Those are two reasons it's often popular with landlords. That talc is barely held together by the paint solids, thereby making it sandable. You'll notice that more expensive acrylic paints don't really have a "flat" in their line-up, it's more likely to be called a "matte" or "velvet matte", and if you look at it in low-angle light, you'll see that it has some sheen.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

Kilz(oil Base) (They do have a water base as well) is a good primer and fully compatible with latex paints.

I don`t normally reccomend it over any other primer, except in bathrooms or on waterstained walls where mildew is likely to occur. But have no reservations about selling either.
    I think it is a bit pricey for general use, and have to defer to those with more experience on the tinted shellacs.